Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is backup, erase the HD best way to remove malwr, adwr, etc.?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 technickel

technickel

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:40 AM

I have McAfee Plus. I scan often, but want to be positive there are no viruses, malware, adware, etc., in my Win7, 64 bit laptop.
There doesn't seem to be any problems, but I'm a proactive guy, so I'm considering making it a monthly practice of just wiping the drive (w/ White Canyon's Wipe Drive), and just starting over.
Is this advisable? If not, is there a beta anti-malware tool out there I can use w/ disabled McAfee?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hadnjury

Hadnjury

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:38 AM

Hello,

I don't see any reason you would need to do that. A good malware scanner is Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, you can download it from the download section of this site. It is free to use. A good plan is to always have your data backed up off your system. There are tons of options, some free some not. I personally bought an identical hard drive for my system and copied my existing hard drive to it. That way if I ran into a problem I would just swap the drives, erase and copy again.
Some people think technology has the answers - Kevin Mitnick

#3 ShinyTech

ShinyTech

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:23 AM

That seems like way to much work to wipe your drive every month. The first thing I would recommend is getting rid of McAfee. In the past I have seen many computer infected with this software. Not to say its a bad AV but its not as good as some of the others. I would recommend either kaspersky or webroot for antivirus software. I have used both alot in testing and always found it removed or stopped the infection.

On the flip side if you want to keep McAfee, I agree malware bytes is one of the best to just do a scan and remove an infection even with other AV software on the computer. Two others are spybot search and destroy and ad-adware (by lavasoft). Further, webroot has came out with a new product that is very small and light and can be running with another AV program without causing issues.

#4 technickel

technickel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:08 PM

That seems like way to much work to wipe your drive every month. The first thing I would recommend is getting rid of McAfee. In the past I have seen many computer infected with this software. Not to say its a bad AV but its not as good as some of the others. I would recommend either kaspersky or webroot for antivirus software. I have used both alot in testing and always found it removed or stopped the infection.

On the flip side if you want to keep McAfee, I agree malware bytes is one of the best to just do a scan and remove an infection even with other AV software on the computer. Two others are spybot search and destroy and ad-adware (by lavasoft). Further, webroot has came out with a new product that is very small and light and can be running with another AV program without causing issues.

Could you suggest other AV, anti-malware programs I could use, which would play nice with McAfee?  Just installed and ran Malwarebytes.  Will install Adaware now.  Spybot S & D is also on my list.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users