Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP A1730 Motherboard Issues?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 daveinfv

daveinfv

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:24 AM

A few months ago my video card died, so I bought a new one this last weekend and installed. PC wont recognize the card on the PCI-E slot. Then tried to enter BIOS and disengage the onboard video which still functions but my bios wont show any sort of setup menu optiuons, only a memory check option. Would love to upgrade with a nice barebones kit and swap my harddive over, but I hear HP has a code on the OS that wont allow this to happen unless you upgrade with another HP branded motherboard.

Anyone have any luck swapping a HD with OS from an HP to a non HP build?

Help please, and thank you all in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:02 AM

Trying to do that rarely works not because it is HP but because it is different hardware. The OS will need to be reinstalled. Plus per Microsoft's OEM agreement the OS is legally tied to that particular machine and is not transferable.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users