Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP asking to format any USB drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ginmasterjedi

ginmasterjedi

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

I'm working on a WIndows XP home edition, and for some reason every time I insert a USB crive into any USB port and go to open in, it asks me to format the drive. But when I go into safe mode, I don't have that issue. I have tried to rollback, uninstall, update all the USB drivers in Device Manager---didn't work. I wnt to Dell.com to see if I can find any USB driver updates---found none.

any suggestions???

thank you

Edited by hamluis, 13 November 2012 - 09:36 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cee134

cee134

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:27 PM

"USB crive"

Do you mean a USB Drive, like a flash drive? Does this happen with any other flash drive you use?

If you are able to access your data, do so and back it up on your computer. Your flash drive may be getting close to becoming corrupted and you will lose anything on it. After backing up your data in a safe place, then proceed to wipe the flash drive clean by formatting it (Remember formatting a flash drive will result in deletion of the data on it, which is why it's important to make a back up copy).

It is also important to remember that a flash drive shouldn't be used as a working disk, i.e. a disk that you work from, save to. It is a portable storage device, you copy files onto it and take it to another pc and copy files off, they don't have the read/write speed for working off of. Having said that, it is good to format a flash drive often to keep it working at it's best (remembering to have a back up copy of important files). To avoid any corrupt data issue follow these guidelines.

#3 ginmasterjedi

ginmasterjedi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:58 AM

when i insert a USB flash drive into any USB port on the pc and I go to open it, i get an error message saying " Drive E is not formatted, would you like to format it now?" I click no. when I go into Safe Mode, and I insert a USB flash drive, any USB flash drive( FD) into any USB port, I can open the fd with no problem. I'm at a loss. I tried everything I can think of.

What else can I do?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:36 AM

Your symptoms may be an indication of infection.

I'm moving this to Am I Infected...for a look by the more knowledgeable.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users