Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just changed my whole HD to simple volumes - how doomed am I?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cjet5678

cjet5678

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

I am running windows 7 32 bit, my original intention was to dual boot 64 bit, since I have a 64 bit CPU, and just bought 8GB RAM that isn't being utilized. I just got this laptop, used, about a month ago. I just got done uninstalling unwanted software, and installing the stuff I wanted, etc. So I was in no mood to do a fresh install with 64 bit.

I tried to create a partition to install W7 64bit using disk management. I did "shrink partition" hoping to create a 20GB partition for the OS. At the very last box, I get a message saying, If I create a simple volume....blah, blah, blah, something about booting an OS... now this would scare most people off, and it did scare me off, at first.... I downloaded a partition manager program, and tried a few things that way, with no luck. I kept going back to disk management (windows) and finally clicked yes, thinking that the worst thing that would happen is that I would render 20GB of a 500GB drive unusable. However, it turned all of the partitions - now 5 of them, into simple volumes.

So, back to my original query, how bad did I screw things up? Is this "reversible?" I'm sure there is no one easy answer to this, as the "research" I have been doing on partitions shows - it is a pretty complex thing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

You shouldn't have a problems with your partitions set at (simple).

#3 cjet5678

cjet5678
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:57 PM

That's good news, thanks. I just did it like two hours ago, and haven't tried a restart yet, but so far I don't notice anything different. I might still do a clean install of W764 - I just can't live with the fact that my system is capable of running 64bit, but does not. Add to that the ridiculous RAM issue, and I just have to upgrade to 64/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users