Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

restarting over and over

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 bighenny22

bighenny22

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:20 PM

hey guys i got a used computor been using for about 4 months now all it does is restart over and over ...i have hit f8 and disabled auto restart and i get and error saying this ...
STOP :c0000218 {registry file failure}
the registry camnot load the hive [file]
\system root \system32\config software
or its log or alternate
it is corrupt,absent,or not writable

beginning dump of physical memory
physical memory dump complete
contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistants

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:56 PM

Worth a look, Error Message When You Install Windows XP STOP c0000218 {Registry File Failure} - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830084 .

Do NOT download anything from this site, info purposes only:
Repair Registry File Failure, C0000218 Error - http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_repair_a_stop.htm

Louis

#3 bighenny22

bighenny22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:25 PM

i don't have a recovery disk

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:38 PM

I don't have a solution/information, other than the links I've posted.

Louis

#5 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:43 PM

Hello bighenny22

On the surface, this problem is a simple file-corruption issue. However, the cause of the file-corruption may be a failing hard drive. If this is the case, then there may be no benefit in attempting to repair the file corruption (especially if the hard drive is failing badly).

I suggest 3 steps for you to take:
  • Test the hard drive. If no problem > continue ...
  • Create an XP Recovery Console CD and boot with it > run chkdsk /P or chkdsk /R to attempt repair of the file-system corruption. If that fails to enable XP to boot > try a HIVE REPLACEMENT > continue ...
  • Create a bootable Linux CD and boot with that to replace the registry hives in XP
I can assist you to perform all those steps if you wish. Let me know what you would like to do.

Edited by AustrAlien, 09 December 2012 - 04:44 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:49 PM

Re: which Linux version to download

Well, since we want to know more about the condition of the hard drive in your case, let's use PartedMagic. We'll firstly use PM to get a look at the hard drive's S.M.A.R.T. data .... and we can use it later to replace the registry hives if we need to go that far.

Let's have a look at the hard drive's S.M.A.R.T. data.

On a working computer, please download the latest version of PartedMagic:
Write (in the appropriate manner) the downloaded .iso file to either CD or USB/flashdrive:
Boot the problematic computer from the PartedMagic CD or flashdrive:
  • At the first menu with Default settings (Runs from RAM) selected, press <ENTER>.
    Be patient while PartedMagic loads into memory, and then displays its Desktop.
Success? Let me know if you can successfully boot to the Desktop of PartedMagic, and whether you are using a bootable CD or a flashdrive.

Posted Image
The Desktop of PartedMagic (version 2012-08-09)

At the PartedMagic Desktop:
  • Double-click the Disk Health icon on the Desktop.
  • In the GSmartControl window that opens, double-click on the device that represents the hard drive.
  • In the Device Information window that opens, click View Output.
    A Smartctl Output window will open.
  • Right-click in the text output > Select All.
  • Right-click in the selected area > Copy.
In the next step you will paste this text into your topic reply.
At the PartedMagic Desktop:
  • Double-click on the Firefox icon to open the Firefox browser window.
  • Enter the BC forums address www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums in the address box and press <ENTER>.
  • Sign in to the forums and locate your topic.
  • Paste the text from the Smartctl Output window in a reply to your topic.

Note: Please enclose the pasted report in CODE tags so that the spacing/formatting is preserved.
  • Firstly, click on the "Insert code snippet" button Posted Image
  • You will then see the "start" and "end" code tags (highlighted in dark blue/selected in the image) in the text box.
  • Click between the two tags to insert the cursor between the tags and then press <Ctrl+V> to paste the report there.

Edited by AustrAlien, 09 December 2012 - 04:50 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#7 bighenny22

bighenny22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:54 PM

I would like to say first off that i found this site a few months ago and been nothing bad great praise for all on the otherside helping out ...CHEERS TO ALL ...
Well i would like to know if drive needs to be replaced or can repair either way ..
tell bighenny what he needs to do to figure it out ...
test the hard drive
Create an XP Recovery Console CD
Create a bootable Linux CD THANK YOU VERY MUCH EITHER WAY

#8 bighenny22

bighenny22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

No it says to run PartedMagic must have at least 400 mb available,only 236 mb was detected.select a live option from the menu after rebooting the system ...

#9 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:40 PM

Sorry for the delay getting back to you.

Let's try the option to use PartedMagic on a system with 175-312MB of RAM:
  • Note: "The Live medium must remain in the drive (CD) or attached (USB) to the system during this session."
Boot with the PartedMagic CD or flashdrive and at the first menu, arrow-down to option #2:
  • Live with default settings*
  • ... and then press <ENTER>.
Does that get you to the PartedMagic Desktop now?
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#10 bighenny22

bighenny22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:56 PM

sorry about getting back to you had a few things to do ...anyways i am doing thru the cd and am trying it again cause it should more ram then 236 i'll let you no what the results are ..

#11 bighenny22

bighenny22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:06 PM

Ok this time i had 512 ram
copying files to ram
cp:read error :input/output error
mounting pmagic_2012_11_30.sqfs ...mount :wrong fs ttype,bad option,bad superblock on /dev/loop1,missing codepage or helper program or other error
in some cases useful info is found in system -try dmesg i tall or so

#12 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:41 PM

It appears that the version of PartedMagic is not compatible with your computer.
Here's another example of the same thing:
  • http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic477291.html/page__view__findpost__p__2912460
Please tell me the make and model of your computer.

I was intending to recommend trying a different version of PM .... but the downloads page has changed and the version appears to be no longer offered! :crazy: I am thinking ...

Edited by AustrAlien, 09 December 2012 - 11:42 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#13 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:06 AM

Let's try testing the hard drive with Seagate's SeaTools on a bootable CD: This will give us a PASS or FAIL result (but no other information) on the hard drive.

Test the hard drive.

It is best to use the hard drive manufacturer's own diagnostic utility, but Seagate's tool will work OK on most brands. The diagnostic tool is run from a bootable CD (Windows does not need to be working. The first two steps are done on a working computer, while the third step is to boot the ailing computer with the CD that you create in the first two steps.)

:step1: Please download SeaTools for DOS (CD) from Seagate's SeaTools for DOS web page

or use the following direct download link to download the latest version of SeaTools for DOS:
Download SeaTools for DOS ISO Image

The downloaded file name is SeaToolsDOS223ALL.ISO
[/list]
:step2: Burn the downloaded .ISO image to a CD using the appropriate burning software.
  • If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
    • Download and install ImgBurn.
      Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
    • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
    • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image

When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.

:step3: Boot from the CD.
  • (You may need to access the BIOS Setup Menu or the Boot Menu and change the boot order to enable booting from CD before hard drive.)
  • From Basic tests on the Main Menu, run the Short test and then the Long test.

(The long test will take some considerable time to complete.)
    The results will be shown as either a PASS or FAIL.
    There is a chance that during the Long test, you may be offered the opportunity to attempt repairs on the hard drive:
  • If so, go ahead and attempt to do so, but ONLY after backing up all important personal files.
[/list]Note: You may wish to view the following ...
Please let us know the results of the tests.

When you can, include the make and model number of the problematic hard drive. If you do choose to use SeaTools, you will see the model number (and maybe the make) when SeaTools first detects the hard drive.

Edited by AustrAlien, 10 December 2012 - 12:10 AM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#14 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:22 AM

IF ... and ONLY IF ... the hard drive exhibits no problem during the above tests (specifically the Long test) with the SeaTools utility, create a bootable CD with the XP Recovery Console on it and run chkdsk /r.

:step1: On a working computer, create a bootable XP Recovery Console CD.

Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
  • Double-click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please choose: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft: Please accept.
  • You will see a few DOS screens flash by: This is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files: Select the Default Files.
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC.
  • Burn the .ISO image file to a CD, to make a bootable CD.

(The ISO file is located on your Desktop.)
:step2: On the ailing computer, run chkdsk /r from the XP Recovery Console to repair the file system.
  • Insert the newly created XP Recovery Console CD in the computer's optical disk drive tray.
  • Start or re-start the computer so that it boots from the CD. You may be prompted to "Press any key". (If the system does not appear to be booting from the CD, you may need to enter the BIOS Setup Menu and change the boot order, so that the CD-ROM/optical disk drive is set to boot before the hard disk drive.)
  • When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press the R key on your keyboard to start the Recovery Console.
  • The Recovery Console will ask which Windows installation you would like to log on to.
    If you have multiple Windows installations, it will list each one, and you would type the number (that is 1, 2, or 3 etc) associated with the installation you would like to work on (usually C:\Windows) and press the <ENTER> key.
    Please advise if you are not seeing C:\Windows listed.
    If you have just one Windows installation showing, type 1 and press <ENTER>.
  • You will be prompted for the Administrator's password. If there is no password, (and this is most likely), simply press <ENTER>.
  • You will be presented with a C:\Windows> prompt.
    Please advise if you are not seeing a C:\WINDOWS> prompt.
At the C:\Windows> prompt, type chkdsk /r and press <ENTER> (Note: There is a space between "chkdsk" and "/r")
  • This will take some time to run and at times may appear stalled but just let it run.
  • If any errors are found/repairs made, run chkdsk /r again, and repeat if necessary.
Type "exit" at the prompt and press <ENTER> to close the Recovery Console and restart your system.

Does Windows start normally now?
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#15 bighenny22

bighenny22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:26 PM

ok make and model of computor is
HP Compaq DC7600 Convertible Minitower PC, P4 3.0 GHz
40GB Hard Drive, CD-Rom Drive, 512MB DDR2 Memory
Windows XP Professional Operating System
hard drive is a 40 gb samsung
#HD040GJ/P

Edited by bighenny22, 10 December 2012 - 05:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users