Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer continues to crash even after format

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pcbreeze

pcbreeze

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:48 PM

About last year my computer started to crash, when playing games. However the crashes were not frequent, rare cases. I didn't bother with it but about 4 months ago, it started to have exe crashes and computer restarts ever so often, maybe an hour or 2 before crashing. I started to look into it, updated my graphics driver, lower the settings on the games, scanned for viruses. Nothing worked, then I downloaded Malware bytes and it detected svchost as a threat. The file is in Windows, instead of Windows\system32. I couldn't really remove this and I got frustrated by nothing fixing this problem so I decided to wipe my computer clean. When I got back on the crashes continued and not only that, the svchost is still in the Windows folder. And today my computer detected, Trojan: DOS /Alureon, I don't know if that has to do with in relation to the svchost or if my problem is entirely something different. But high memory type of games such as APB reloaded, or the Secret World, cause my computer to crash almost every 5-10 minutes. Does anyone have an idea what is going on with my computer?

I currently run on a 64bit system, Windows 7 home premium
My graphics card is updated completely, Nvidia geforce 9800 gt
I have 4GB of ram.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sundavis

sundavis

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,708 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:28 AM

Hi,

Apparently your system was infected, please follow this thread and start a new topic as instructed.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the Malware Removal Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the Malware Removal Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

#3 ShinyTech

ShinyTech

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:53 AM

Actually it doesnt sound like a virus at all. It sounds like bad RAM or bad memory on the video card. If its a big game or a really heafty program that causes the crash then the program / game is filling the RAM on the computer and getting to the bad part of the RAM stick. I would recommend downloading a program to test your RAM first. I recommend Memtest as it works well and is free. If the RAM passes download a program test max out the video card. If you max out the vieo card and it crashes you know the card is bad and needs to be replaced.

PS it could be a virus but sounds more like a memory issue.

#4 smerffed

smerffed

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:51 AM

Actually it doesnt sound like a virus at all. It sounds like bad RAM or bad memory on the video card. If its a big game or a really heafty program that causes the crash then the program / game is filling the RAM on the computer and getting to the bad part of the RAM stick. I would recommend downloading a program to test your RAM first. I recommend Memtest as it works well and is free. If the RAM passes download a program test max out the video card. If you max out the vieo card and it crashes you know the card is bad and needs to be replaced.

PS it could be a virus but sounds more like a memory issue.

Or a bad Hard Drive. I only say this because RAM failure is more rare than Hard Drive failure. Also, it sounded like it got worse over time. If RAM fails, it fails. It is always simplier to check the easiest stuff first. Download HDTune and run a SMART test. If you return no yellow or red flags, you should be safe. After that open CMD as Admin and run CHKDSK /r . When you do a clean install of Windows 7, it only does a quick format.. it no longer allows the option of a long format, which includes a chkdsk /r and wiping of free space.

The chkdsk may fix or make your problem worse, so be careful. But if chkdsk takes more than a day to complete on a hard drive under 2 TB, then your drive is probably failing.

Edited by smerffed, 13 November 2012 - 11:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users