Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista will not boot properly

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 smitben

smitben

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:57 PM

Hello all, I am new to the whole computer help forum. I have been using one of my brother's computer for the past year or so and today when I went to turn it on, and it kept redirecting me to the "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause." It gave me two options of "Start normally" or "Launch Startup Repair (recommended)". No matter which I choose they seem to constantly restart the computer in an endless circle. I have tried the F8 options or safe mode and command prompt, but they too just restart the computer. Sadly I do not have a start-up disc or DVD. I am concerned. Any help would be appreciated.
Computer: Toshiba Satellite L505D-S5965
Operating System: Windows Vista
Chip: AMD Athalon x2 64

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hadnjury

Hadnjury

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:14 AM

Hello and Welcome to the forums,

Do you have access to another computer that you can download and burn cd's from?

If so, you can download Puppy linux live cd here

Instructions here

Two reasons for using this
1. See if your computer will boot at all
2. Recover and backup your data if you can boot

If your system is able to boot with this live cd, then go ahead and backup your data. Then we can go from there either way
Some people think technology has the answers - Kevin Mitnick

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:38 AM

In order to boot from the Puppy Linux you may need to enter the BIOS and make the CD-ROM the first device in the boot order and the hdd the second device. If the hdd is the first device in the boot order the computer will try to boot from the operating system.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 smitben

smitben
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:21 PM

Thank you both for the help so far. I apologize for taking so long to reply. I am in the process of downloading Precise Puppy 5.4.1 and attempting to boot from the CD. I will update once I have finished with the attempt. :thumbsup:

#5 smitben

smitben
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:01 AM

Boot from Precise Puppy 5.4.1 CD worked, and I have saved the files I need including the config file. I have run ntfsfix /dev/sda1, nrsffix /dev/sda2, and ntfsfix /dev/sda3 and all came back as Posted Image. I have shut the computer down and have tried to restart it, but it is still cycling through the restart and the original error message I posted. Any thoughts of what to do next.

#6 Hadnjury

Hadnjury

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:57 AM

Ok some questions now...Did you make any software or hardware changes? Do you have any external devices plugged in at boot(Hard drives, flash drives, etc.)? If so unplug them and try to boot again, also make sure you don't have anything in the disc drive.

Run a memory test. You can do so by pressing f8 at boot just like you did for safe mode.

#7 smitben

smitben
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:05 AM

Hello again,
I don't think I have downloaded or used any new software, and definitely have not used any new hardware. I removed the linux boot disc and there are no usbs plugged in. I went to the f8 menu and ran a memory test. It said throughout the test that no problems were found then sent me back to the restart menu and restarted the computer. It tried, then went back into the cycle again. When I go into the "repair your computer option" under the f8 menu it brings up a screen to "System Recovery Options" and I select the US keyboard and click "next." I then brings up "System Recovery Options" and asks me to select an operating system to repair and click Next. I can click the "Load Drivers" button, but I am not sure where to find the correct option. Should I use the restart + 0 option and try to restore with the Toshiba recovery tool. I know it will erase all my data, but I have saved it to an external HD. BTW I appreciate the help so far.

#8 smitben

smitben
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:55 AM

Sorry I got a little antsy and went ahead and tried the Toshiba Recovery Wizard. It failed and gave me an error message. When I tried to reboot, I got a new error message. I called Toshiba and they said my Hard Drive is dead. Thank you for your help, but I guess I have to get a new one. Thank you for showing me how to save my data, that was a huge help. :clapping: I guess this computer is trashed. They suggested getting a new HD and buying their recovery disks. For this I could almost buy a new computer, so I think I will. :wacko:

#9 Hadnjury

Hadnjury

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:58 AM

Hello again to you,

I am glad I can help :thumbup2:. Using the recovery tool would be your fastest alternative and it would make sure that your system is secure and free from virus or malware. I will leave that decision to you. If you go that route make sure you install all the security and critical updates from microsoft, before you do anything else and update your drivers.

I can also continue to talk you through diagnostics and troubleshooting. Let me know what you decide. :busy:

#10 Hadnjury

Hadnjury

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:01 AM

Did they run diagnostics on your hard drive? You can create a recovery disc once windows is loaded again.

#11 smitben

smitben
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:05 AM

No it won't boot windows. It gives me this screen when I boot now
Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 082)

Realtek PCI Express Fast Ethernet Controller Series v1.15(090224)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.
No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

#12 Hadnjury

Hadnjury

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:27 AM

Well that doesn't mean the Hard drive is dead. Give me a few I will find a hard drive diagnostic tool specific to your computer. In the meantime run the live cd again, and look to see if that sda/dev3 is still there. Try opening it and see if there is files and folders still on it

#13 Hadnjury

Hadnjury

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:34 AM

Ok I am posting a link for you to download and burn to a cd. It is a hard drive diagnostic tool for your toshiba Test tool. You will use it just like the puppy cd. Run the comprehensive test, it is going to run for a long time 30 mins or better.

#14 smitben

smitben
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:47 AM

Yes the sda/dev3 is still there and has files and folders on it

I am burning the test tool now

#15 smitben

smitben
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:57 AM

I might be a little confused. How do I run the test tool from the command prompt when the computer won't boot? It just keep asking for me to insert a boot disk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users