Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Computer's Audio Isn't Working

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ladydreamrider

Ladydreamrider

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 08:59 AM

I've been working on a Dell L600. I'm not familiar with working with sound, so I do need a good tutorial here.
The OS is ME. I checked Devices and it says there is no conflict, that it is working fine, (which obviously it isn't as there is No Sound coming from the computer to the speakers I tried downloading a new driver, but since it goes into the files already on the computer, that hasn't worked. I can't seem to find any on the internet, probably because I don't know just where to go.
The speakers themselves are fine. When I turn them on, I here the click, and if I turn them up I hear the faint static, which is normal for speakers that are turned too loud with nothing else playing.
The one thing I did forget to right down is the information about the speakers in the device manager...name, numbers etc.
Of course, he doesn't have the ME set up disk or the audio disk for the speaker set up. That is one of the hard things about computers these days. MS is stingy with the set up disk ever after Win98.
Thanks for the help.
Ladydreamrider
Our main business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance,but to do what lies clearly at hand. - Thomas Carlyle

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 09:04 AM

Have you checked the volume control to make sure the master volume is not on mute?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 11:31 AM

Also, some of these Dells have a separate sound plug from the one on the motherboard and the speaker plug must go there - it's off to the side rather than in the row of three receptacles. It's easy to plug the speakers into the one on the motherboard and it doesn't do anything.

#4 Ladydreamrider

Ladydreamrider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2006 - 05:48 PM

Yes. That was the first thing I did. Sorry I forgot to mention that.
Our main business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance,but to do what lies clearly at hand. - Thomas Carlyle

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 07:01 PM

I hope I'm not belaboring the obvious, but go to Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Sounds and check the settings there. Make sure the volume is up, that there is a sound scheme set instead of "no sounds" and check the other settings on the tabs.

#6 Ladydreamrider

Ladydreamrider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 08:05 AM

Thanks. Yes, I did go into the control panel and check all the settings. I'm going to have a take a mic over and see if that works. The one thing I didn't know about and so didn't check is the side exta audio jack on the side. I'll have to see if there is one on this particular computer.
Will post when I find the problem.
If anyone has any more suggestions, I'm still searching for the answer... :thumbsup:

#7 Ladydreamrider

Ladydreamrider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 10:53 AM

Moved to different jack. works beautifully... go figure.
thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users