Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error loading operating system

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#1 midas777

midas777

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:39 AM

Hello all - happy Monday (or not). I have received the dreaded shut down of all my programs and the white lettering with black background, i tried to follow instructions provided on this topic previously but only got so far as i believe i need someone to look at my mbr. I have created a cd that i can boot from that allowed me to create said mbr on the usb key via xPUD but honestly am a newbie when it comes to all things technical. I did try to use the F8 key after BIOS (Dell Inspiron 530 Bios 1.0.13) but no avail just clicked - i am able to get to xPUD via the boot disk but not sure where to go from there - if you need a copy of the mbr this can be provided. Any help is appreciated would really like to fix this. It is our hub for our family network and obviously is a drag. The wireless is still kicking and all can still use the network so no issue there.

the first error that started all this was an invalid disk partition or something like that - that is what lead me down this road and eventually to you!

thank you all for your assistance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:48 PM

Welcome aboard Posted Image

I'll ask appropriate helpers to take a look at your topic.
Hold on there.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 midas777

midas777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:49 PM

Welcome aboard Posted Image

I'll ask appropriate helpers to take a look at your topic.
Hold on there.

Many thanks!

#4 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:01 PM

Hello midas777 :)

You can send the MBR you obtained from xPud here.

Please let me know what operating system the computer with the boot issue is using.

#5 midas777

midas777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:15 PM

Hello midas777 :)

You can send the MBR you obtained from xPud here.

Please let me know what operating system the computer with the boot issue is using.

Apologies for the newbie part of this but i honestly don't recall which OS it is - terrible i know and i used to work for DELL (for shame) - believe it is Windows XP is there a way to find this (computer is about 4-5yrs old i believe)

i sent the MBR per request to the location requested - thank you

#6 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:18 PM

It is probably Windows XP but your product key should be on the exterior of the computer somewhere and that will show the operating system.

The MBR is defunct. We can try a few things but it's not looking good..
We will need a CD with the Windows XP Recovery Console on it. Do you have one? Your original XP installation CD should include one as well. Let me know so we can proceed.

#7 midas777

midas777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:25 PM

It is probably Windows XP but your product key should be on the exterior of the computer somewhere and that will show the operating system.

The MBR is defunct. We can try a few things but it's not looking good..
We will need a CD with the Windows XP Recovery Console on it. Do you have one? Your original XP installation CD should include one as well. Let me know so we can proceed.

Should i try from the start (including the MBR etc) - again i was just using someone else's scenario that had the same issue and followed the instructions on how to get the mbr file. I will need to scour for that cd - assumption is it is somewhere but it has been a while, will write back once i find - thank you

#8 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

I don't need the MBR again yet. Once you find your CD we will try to restore a clean MBR and bootsector and then see how the newest MBR looks.

#9 midas777

midas777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:07 PM

I don't need the MBR again yet. Once you find your CD we will try to restore a clean MBR and bootsector and then see how the newest MBR looks.

Understood - the sticker on the computer says Windows Vista yet i find no backup cd or cd period for this computer - i did find some xp dell discs however (see below) - not sure if this is from my previous computer (assumption is yes) - but will list regardless... will keep looking around for other discs.

discs found:

Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

I fear i need one for Vista?

thank you again for your patience!

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:38 PM

Hello, Just letting you know I moved this to the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum,where it will stay.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#11 midas777

midas777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:32 AM

Understood - the sticker on the computer says Windows Vista yet i find no backup cd or cd period for this computer - i did find some xp dell discs however (see below) - not sure if this is from my previous computer (assumption is yes) - but will list regardless... will keep looking around for other discs.

discs found:

Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

I fear i need one for Vista?

thank you again for your patience!

Do i need to get one for Vista - i looked and could not find any such documentation, is there a way to create a disc? Appreciate the assistance.

#12 midas777

midas777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:49 PM

NEW UPDATE

I was able to create a Vista Cd and boot from it - it allows me to get to System Recovery Options HOWEVER it does not list an OS for me (i.e. choose an OS) so it stays on the X: when attempting any command on the Command Prompt - any suggestions would be most welcome!!! I tried to Startup Repair and this is the laundry list if provides (Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically):

Problem Event Name StartupRepairV2
Problem Signature01 ExternalMedia
Problem Signature02 6.0.6000.16386.0.0.0.0
Problem Signature03 1
Problem Signature04 65537
Problem Signature05 unknown
Problem Signature06 CorruptBootSector
Problem Signature07 0
Problem Signature08 1
Problem Signature09 FixBootSector
Problem Signature10 1168
OS Version 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID 1033

#13 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

Try this and let me know the outcome.

Go back into System Recovery Options and choose Command Prompt

In the command prompt, type these commands, pressing ENTER after each one.
Note: The purple text is only informational (it's not part of the command).

• c:
  • dir <--- What appears after this one? Let me know
  • d:
  • e:

Edited by thisisu, 13 November 2012 - 04:31 PM.

#14 midas777

midas777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:29 PM

at work but will do so right after i am out of here. Thank you

#15 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team