Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I delete the .bat file I just installed

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 tradingplaces

tradingplaces

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:33 AM

Hi,

I'm a new member so I will apologise before I begin!.

I have XP Home edition(version 2002)/SP3. Main browser used is Firefox but have IE installed as well (only wish it worked but that's a different issue I need to address and will post separately on that)

I had Silverlight installed which was necessary to view an on-line TV service &, up until a few days ago, had no problems. I tried to log on once again and the site came up with a msg, 'Silverlight reguired, update or Install Silverlight'.

Using Add/Remove Progs trying to uninstall Silverlight (as when I tried to download over the top of it I got the msg, 'You already have the latest Silverlight version'), I kept getting the following msg:-

"The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.
Click OK to try again or type an alternative path to a folder containing the installation package ‘silverlight.msi’ in the box below:-
c:\6ed57d21bda6a1521b4784cdf6be27\
"

I couldn't find the 'silverlight.msi' anywhere. When searching for a solution I eventually came across an old post on the Bleeping.com site where a person had had virtually the same problem. A few people suggested solutions and a person called Gabriel posted as below, and as someone had replied to that saying they had used his fix.bat file and it solved his problem, I did the same - but unfortunately not with the same success. After installing Gabriel's batch file I went to the Add/Remove S/W list, I thought, 'Great, Silverlight is no longer on the list of programs'. BUT, when I tried to download and install Silverlight again I couldn't - seemed to download the .exe file OK which I saved to my hard drive, but when I tried to run the file and make the install it eventually came up after about 40 seconds, 'Installation Failed'(I noticed that as soon as I pressed 'install' the 'install progress bar' immediately started at 90% which seemed strange to me.) I then looked in the Add/Remove programmes list and although Silverlight did then show up, it was showing only a 6kb file size?. I deleted it.

So I am almost back to square one with the exception of needing to delete Gabriel's silverlight_msi_fix.bat file. Have searched endlessly for how to do that but without success. (You guessed, I am a user and not a technocrat).
The post did have an ID number but unfortunately I did not make a note of it - hence my initial apology.

Gabriel's old post
-------------------------
Reformatting is far from the only way to fix this problem...

You could just delete the registry key "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\D7314F9862C648A4DB8BE2A5B47BE100" and MSI won't know silverlight is installed and will allow a new install with the current version of silverlight.

The attached batch file should do the trick without as much risk as running regedit. Run this batch file and then try to reinstall Silverlight.

Warning: Backing up your registry before modifying it is always a good idea. You can back up your registry with a program like Erunt.
Attached File(s)
• silverlight_msi_fix.bat (404bytes)
Number of downloads: 145
----------------------------

FYI - I did not back up my registry beforehand & my System Restore programme doesn't work and hasn't worked for many months (if it did then I assume that would have been the quick way to get back to square 1)

It would be much appreciated if someone can tell me how to delete that file so that I can start again at trying to solve my Silverlight problem.

Many Thanks
Nigel
:wacko:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sundavis

sundavis

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,708 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:14 PM

Maybe the uninstall process was not complete. Refer to this thread . Hope that helps.

#3 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:10 PM

It would be much appreciated if someone can tell me how to delete that file so that I can start again at trying to solve my Silverlight problem.

The bat file's file presence is irrelevant to resolving your issue. It's not like an installed app, it only contains some instructions which are executed once when you run the file. Deleting the bat file will not undo its actions. If you want to clean up and remove the bat file (Holy Command line, Batman) and you cannot remember where you put it, search your PC for "silverlight_msi_fix.bat", no quotes. That should find it. You can then delete.

Whenever you download stuff, it's best to always download into one place so you know where it is. If you need to move elsewhere, you then have to make a conscious effort and are likely to remember where you put it. I always download into a folder "Download" and always run install packages etc from a folder "Shareware". That way I always know where things are and it's easy to archive software you have downloaded. I always save software because sometimes a later version does not run well so I can revert to an earlier version.

#4 tradingplaces

tradingplaces
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:28 AM

Thanks to both of you for offering advice.

1.Sundavis.
I followed the 2nd instruction in the 'thread' you kindly advised of, but that location was not there.

2.Nanobyte.
I thought it was an application - Err!. I always create a new Folder in c/Programme Files before I download any .exe file so I can fine it easily & delete if necessary - so I simply deleted Gabriel's .exe file

What to do now?
Extra info to assist in suggesting a way forward:

a
After each & every attempt at resolving the issue, I always do a Clean Disk using my AVG CCleaner prog.i.e. to ensure nothing in the cache memory.

b
Even though I've deleted the ..fix.bat file, it's weird that every time I hit the 'sign in' icon after entering my login details to enter Bleepingcomputer.com, up pops the same message that I got when first downloading Gabriel's file i.e.' Do you want to save ... .bat file'?. I don't know if this is relevant to my 'unable to install Silverlight' problem or not – msg. doesn't appear at any other time. Also, and immediately prior to the above happening, when I click on my bookmark for the site I go to Bleepingcomputer.com, I actually go to the page where I first found the site & tried to download Gabriel’s .bat file and got the error msg. saying I was not allowed to do that i.e. I guess because I was not a member and so that’s when I decided to register and become a member. So, given that I endlessly clear out Firefox’s cache, I wonder if that’s not actually doing so for this site.
c
Looking through the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT / installer / products files was a first for me - how interesting for a non-technocrat like me :crazy: . What I did notice which also seemed odd, and hence maybe be relevant for those wanting to offer me advice, was that there appeared to be many duplicates of the same 'main' named item once I got down past the .zip to the larger descriptions - screen shots attached for clarification - check! - apparently not allowed to attach a Word document??.

Just to confirm once again, I have tried since above to download Silverlight, and same thing happens as mentioned in my first msg. above - to save you scrolling up:-
" seemed to download the .exe file OK which I saved to my hard drive, but when I tried to run the file and make the install it eventually came up after about 40 seconds, 'Installation Failed' (I noticed that as soon as I pressed 'install' the 'install progress bar' immediately started at 90% which seemed strange to me.) I then looked in the Add/Remove programmes list and although Silverlight did then show up, it was showing only a 6kb file size?. I deleted it."

Once again, thanks in advance,
Nigel

#5 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

It sounds like you are well-organized re new apps so you didn't need my comments on that!

FYI, it's not a bad idea if you ever download a .bat file, read its contents first (and virus scan). It's a text file that can execute. It may not mean much but you will get some idea of what it is about to do, file changes, registry entries etc.
To read, RIGHT-click the file, Open with, Choose Notepad. Note: single or double left click (depending on your setup) will RUN it. Close afterwards. I tried to trace the bat file but there are umpteen gabriel variations in the forum.

I could not quite follow the bookmark issue. Your comment "Also, and immediately prior to the above happening, when I click on my bookmark for the site I go to Bleepingcomputer.com", is the site you are referring BC or Gabriel's site? If it is either, delete the bookmark and make a new bookmark for BC next time you log in and use that bookmark in the future. You can check the current URL by hovering or right-clicking the bookmark, Properties. If it's your current login, do not post in the forum - it may contain your forum ID.

Re the popup when you sign in, someone familiar with the forum software would need to answer that. If you have done the previous bookmark exercise and it's still there, have you tried saying yes? Perhaps it will go away after you save again.

I did not follow the registry item either. No image was attached so clarification was not achieved! Save the screenshot as a jpg.

Did you uninstall any earlier versions as noted here - they start WPF...

I found a more extensive uninstall here. The guy doesn't seem to be too big on putting spaces between words so "anx86" is "an x86" etc. On that page there is a link to a Fix-It.

#6 tradingplaces

tradingplaces
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:11 AM

Thanks for input again Nanobyte - appreciated,

Deleted bookmark for the BC site and that solved the irksome pop-up appearing.

Still getting no where on Silverlight however-:
A.
In answer to your question re any earlier deletion of Silverlight - 'No', up until the problem when I went to watch the on-line TV service & it said I needed to 'install/upgrade' Silverlight to watch programmes, I never had need to delete it. In fact, I only installed in the first place because it was a mandatory tech requirement to watch the TV progs - I was successfully doing so for many months until I recently got that 'install/upgrade Silverlight' message when I logged on - it's was if the TV site (Sky) software suddenly thought I either hadn't got Silverlight or that the version I had needed updating - since then of course having deleted it, I can't successfully download and install it again. :smash:
B.
I have spent the past several hours trying other avenues including many attempts at downloading Silverlight but each time the install fails (tired of that now so won't be trying that for a while :wacko: ). Just out of interest I thought I'd download the Silverlight 5 sdk from a Microsoft site - that was the only success I achieved as it downloaded and installed OK but when I then tried to download the basic Silverlight from the 'Get Silverlight'microsoft site', I went through the same failed procedure as previously mentioned :killcomp:
c.
I have previously tried the 'Fix It' solution you kindly mentioned. I remember being able to succesfully download the silverlight.diagcab app that the link suggests (it didn't solve the problem but I thought I may as well try it again). This time when I tried to download it however, I couldn't? - I got an error/warning message saying I couldn't because it was an installation file :wacko: I hope I can attach the screen shot of that which I've just taken and saved as jpeg files as suggested, plus other screen shots I've also saved to try and provide extra info - they include the 'strange to me' apparent duplication of files I saw when trying to find the Silverlight file key number you gave me using 'Run regedit', plus (whilst I'm at it) a screen shot from CP/Add Remove programmes which shows how IE8 appears in the list i.e. with no file size appearing to the right as the other programmes show(similar as mentioned previously as when I 'have appeared to have downloaded the Silverlight prog OK but once it fails on 'installation'I go to remove it and notice whilst the file is supposed to be 6.6MB, it shows only as 0.4. The final Add/Remove screen shot is of when I thought I'd remove IE8 & install again as IE doesn't work even in 'safe mode, I got the warning message that I could lose the functionality of those programmes I'd installed after IE8 was installed, and it looked like there were hundreds of them!)

Hey! - at least I can log off knowing that I've actually succeeded at something - the jpeg pics appear to have loaded OK :clapping:

Look forward to hearing what I could try next & any suggestions input is obviously appeciated

Regards
Nigel
PS. Most urgent issue for me is to get Silverlight successfully installed ( England V Australia Rugby Union international being shown live at 14:30hrs GMT on the TV service :tvhappy:

Attached Files

#7 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:45 AM

Thanks for the additional pics. Clarification was achieved! Did you google the URL on the middle image, teamfreeze.com? It has previously appeared in the BC forum and seems to be quite popular on the WWW for those trying to get rid of it. However I would not contact the email address. Beware of any advice re malware or any other software from a poster making their first post. This thread should go into the security forums.

FYI I did not see anything unusual in the registry entries you mentioned and shown on the first image. They are different keys for the same software.

Re rugby, go Poms!

#8 tradingplaces

tradingplaces
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:53 PM

Hi Nanobyte, thanks again for your reply. I did not go to the freeze.com site - as soon as I saw the 'freeze' name I was suspicious.

Whilst I would love to watch the rugby match, in case I have mis-led you in my previous post I still can't load & download/install Silverlight so I can't :(

Don't know if my Silverlight problem is related to the fact that IE8 is not working but to add to what I mentioned previously, when I was doing my AVG disk clean before I logged off earlier, I took an extra glance at what it had cleaned out - I was :blink: to see that it had got rid of 'temporary internet files' for IE5 ??? It's as if IE5 is running in the background somewhere even though IE5 doesn't appear in my program list only IE8 in CP's 'Add/Remove programs - I guess I was running IE5 prior to me trying and failing to download & install IE8 and then not being able to delete or remove IE8.

Any ideas?

Nigel

#9 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:22 PM

THIS THREAD NEEDS TO BE MOVED!!!

That other thread was in the "Am I infected forum" and it was a dead end thread, the only response was from teamfreeze.com.

If you were running IE5 recently, the security would have been very low. That's years old and I assume not supported. If you were infected that may have affected the installation of IE8. Together with this thread issue, cleaning out any and all malware is the first priority. I can't help any further.

#10 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:26 AM

As there seems to be no move to another forum, I can add some further comments. First, you should run IE and check which version is actually installed (Help, About). If IE5 is still installed, then Silverlight is not compatible with that version. The IE8 entry in Add/Remove programs would tend to indicate that IE8 is installed. The lack of a "size" entry is normal. If you uninstall the current version of IE, it would revert to the previous installed version.

You mentioned you used Firefox but had some issues. Were you running Silverlight only in Firefox until you had issues with that? If you then switched to IE5 (if that was current) I assume Silverlight would not run.

Apart from the teamfreeze.com issue, the installIQ app (shown on your middle pic) is sometimes used to bundle stuff you don't need. That is so prevalent today that it's not cause for concern providing you uncheck any extras.

Deleting an item from Add/Remove programs is not a good idea because you lose track of it. You should only delete an item if you know it has been uninstalled by other means. You should uninstall if possible.

When you tried to do a second download of the Fix-it, you got a warning (from your AV?) saying it's an installation file. Well you should ignore the warning, the file is direct from MS (assuming you were at their site) and can be trusted. Didn't you get the same warning the first time you downloaded?

#11 tradingplaces

tradingplaces
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:46 AM

About 5 minutes ago I have solved the problem myself - I luckily found an old version of Silverlight which works fine with Firefox (my preferred browser) - downloaded and installed Silverlight version with no problem and the TV service has now finally stopped giving the message 'upgrade/install Silverlight needed'.

#12 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:47 PM

I suppose that means you are probably not infected! I keep copies of all revs of software I install. I also use old versions of some software. As a PC gets older, the advantages of new revs plateaus. There is no advantage and increased risk every update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users