Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DPC Latency/ Popping Audio Noise

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 MyPancreas

MyPancreas

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:24 AM

Now yesterday I noticed that sometimes if I open a video and do or open some other stuff at the same time it's running, or a few things in succession, it results in the video's audio emiting a popping/crackling sound. I used Device Manager and couldn't find anything that is causing the Latency. I didn't deactivate all the drivers, naturaly, but tried all the ones they advised to, as well as a majority of the non hidden ones.

The DPC stays below 4000 even while a video is running, and goes to a 200 at times as well.

Using XP laptopt, Macrologic.

Not exactly well versed in these things so if there is any need for further info, I'll post it gladly.

Edited by hamluis, 15 November 2012 - 08:51 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 melagius

melagius

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:13 PM

Try turning of any wireless/network adapters in device manager and see if the problem persists.

Make sure you are not running any active scans (Indexing, virus, etc) at the time.

Update all drivers (Storage, Network, Graphics, etc)

Try playing the video in VLC or Mediaplayer Classic.

#3 MyPancreas

MyPancreas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

Thing is, I can't find wireless anywhere in device manager. And if I did, and this was the cause, would there be a way to get around this without needing to use a cable ?

Edit: Okay, found it, was looking under a different tab this whole time.

Edited by MyPancreas, 13 November 2012 - 05:23 PM.

#4 MyPancreas

MyPancreas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:30 PM

By the way, would you think instaling a diferent audio driver would make any difference ? I've seen tons of different solutions online and this was one of them.

#5 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:49 PM

Hit the start button then Right Click My computer>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Properties>>>>>>>>>>>
Harwdare Tab>>>>>>>>>>>>>Device Manager.
Scroll down to the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controlers Left click the + to the left of the drivers.
Right Click and uninstall all of your Primary IDE drivers there most likely will be more than one of the Primary IDE Drivers Make sure and un-install All of them prior to rebooting.

You will be prompted to reboot again,reboot a second time and check the issue.

#6 MyPancreas

MyPancreas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:56 PM

Hit the start button then Right Click My computer>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Properties>>>>>>>>>>>
Harwdare Tab>>>>>>>>>>>>>Device Manager.
Scroll down to the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controlers Left click the + to the left of the drivers.
Right Click and uninstall all of your Primary IDE drivers there most likely will be more than one of the Primary IDE Drivers Make sure and un-install All of them prior to rebooting.

You will be prompted to reboot again,reboot a second time and check the issue.

Thanks but....wait, don't I have to reinstall them/install something else in their place ? Sorry for asking these questions but I'm realy not tech savvy and I know how I freaked out when I accidentaly turned off all sound a year and a half ago, which was a one-click-fix in the end. I'm just a little afraid of screwing everything up.

Edit: Also, updated all the drivers I could (which wasn't a lot, it said there was nothing better out there then what I got for most of them), but it does ocationaly happen.

Edited by MyPancreas, 13 November 2012 - 05:59 PM.

#7 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:06 PM

Windows will auto re-install these drivers upon reboot and when ever I am working on an xp machine this does wonders. I am 100% percent certain you will notice a speed up and possibly fix your issue.
This step will usualyy work when nothing else does.
Let me know how it goes.

#8 MyPancreas

MyPancreas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:21 PM

Windows will auto re-install these drivers upon reboot and when ever I am working on an xp machine this does wonders. I am 100% percent certain you will notice a speed up and possibly fix your issue.
This step will usualyy work when nothing else does.
Let me know how it goes.

After having looked up what they are, I'm realy afraid of doing this.

Can I manualy install them in case the instalation fails ? Without a CD ?

Edit: Found out the secondary driver was set to PIO only, could that be the cause ? Granted I changed it but I've read you have to reboot for the change to fully come into effect.

Edited by MyPancreas, 13 November 2012 - 06:28 PM.

#9 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:29 PM

I gurantee you that windows will auto re-install these drivers.So long as you just uninstall the primary ide drivers.

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,694 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:28 PM

Found out the secondary driver was set to PIO only, could that be the cause ?

PIO mode could definitely cause the problem. Changing it to "DMA if available" may resolve it, but deleting the driver causes Windows to re-enumerate, which should have the devices set up properly as the driver is re-instated. This is a normal remedy and should not cause any problem as InadequateInfirmity has said.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#11 MyPancreas

MyPancreas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:37 AM

So, do I uninstall them in any particular order ? Or do I say no to the first reboot prompt and yet to the second ?

Also, that doesn't include the Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller does it ?

Edit: Oh, you meant just the Primary channel ? I only have one, and a secondary.

Edited by MyPancreas, 14 November 2012 - 02:39 AM.

#12 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:45 AM

Only the primary ide(s)

#13 MyPancreas

MyPancreas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:13 AM

Only the primary ide(s)

One further question (yes I am being cautious), does the re-install occur online or offline ? And I take it I don't need the instalation CD ?

#14 MyPancreas

MyPancreas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:01 AM

Okay, I did it and it did what you guys said. It also tried updating something else amongst the SCSI and Raid Controllers could that have any kind of impact ?

#15 MyPancreas

MyPancreas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:48 AM

I did it, but it happened again, but gonna see if it happens during regular non-interupted play.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users