Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

start up shutdown

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ptts17

ptts17

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:28 AM

..hello out there! Well where to start is my problem fist of I cannot send any details of my setup as my comp willnot start up!it all started half way through playing a game and my comp just shutdown completely and does the same if I try to watch a video on u tube at first I thought it could be a fan one was making a bit of a noise so I cleaned them all including the cpu which I removed (big mistake me think's)anyway whenI power up now the power for is on for about 30 seconds switches off for about the same and try's to start again same procedure all the time as long as i would let it go on!Havent a clue what to do or where to start,I am thinking faulty start button,out of my depth here guy's you think there is an easy way out or am I going to be feeding some repair guy's family for a week?? By the way all my fans were running! Looking for help mates much appreciated!
J.F.PITTS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:11 AM

First how did you clean the fans?? Second if you removed the heatsink then new thermal compound needs to be applied or it could cause the cpu to overheat. You will need to clean both the cpu and the heatsink with isopropal alcohol till all of the old compound is removed. Then apply a SMALL amount of new compound about the size of a BB and spread it evenly over the cpu or the heatsink not both. Then make sure the heatsink is tightened down according depending on the attachment type.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 ptts17

ptts17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:05 AM

Hi Balt boy thanks for the speedy reply!First I cleaned my Fans wirh soft brush holding the blades steady with a pencil.As for the cpu this was the first time I have removed one I new of the heat compound but th0ught a straight replacement onto the old was sufficient!.
Can I say this all seemed to start when my monitor started normal then I started getting a green blue hue over the screen fiddled about with the videocable and all went back to norm,then whilst playing a game the comp started shutting down ssme whilst watching video on utube, Now it is at a state when I try to start it it pulsates off and on sometimes have to take the power lead out to shut it down!Thats the best I can explain it thats how it happens will take your advice on thermal compound!hope youcan come back with some idea's
J.F.PITTS

#4 ShinyTech

ShinyTech

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:40 AM

First remove the heatsink from the processor and use rubbing alcohol to remove the old stuff. Apply new compound. Second look on you motherbaord for the graphics chip and see if it has a heat sync. If it does you might need to redo the paste on that as well. If both these efforts are exasted i would either try a new video card and disable the onboard one or a new power supply.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:17 AM

If you ever see the surface of a heat sink under high magnification you will notice how uneven the surface is. The thermal compound is used to fill these uneven surfaces in order to enhance the heat transference between the CPU and the heat sink. If the compound isn't adequate or missing it can cause the CPU to overheat which in turn will shut down the computer.

As suggested in the previous post, isopropyl alcohol can be used to clean the thermal compound. But you can remove most of the old compound by gently scraping the surface of the CPU and heat sink with the edge of a plastic card, bank, library... Then use the alcohol and a Q-tip to remove the remaining compound.

Whey you reapply the compound all it takes is a drop about the size of a grain of rice. Spread it evenly to the metal portion of the CPU and then reassemble the heat sink and fan assembly.

If the graphics card has a fan, but the fan hasn't been removed I would leave it alone. I would only replace the compound if the card is exhibiting signs of overheating.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:10 PM

Another thought if the above fix doesn't work is that the power supply may be going up. How old is the computer????
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#7 ptts17

ptts17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:34 AM

once again thanks guys off to get some thernal compound and give it a go!will get back as soon as completed tasks!As for how old the compis I dont no I bought it second hand from a repair shop had it about a year and ran great,but I will give these suggestions a go and hope for the best if no luck with it, it's make your mind up time!!!Many thanks great to have you guy,s around! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ps would metholated spirit clean it??
J.F.PITTS

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:09 AM

Here in the U.S. we call metholated spirits rubbing alcohol. Yes, it should work fine, just make sure you wipe off the residue.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 ptts17

ptts17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:05 AM

Hi Guy's finally solved the prob my c.p.u fan was only running half power put new heat sink paste on with a new fan and all is "A"Ok! once agai thank for you help!!
J.F.PITTS

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:12 AM

Good to hear.Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users