Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to Back Up Softwares and XP User Data before installing fresh copy of XP

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Its.Obi

Its.Obi

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:07 AM

Hi Friends,

Earlier my system was effected by Sality virus. I was able to clean the virus with antivirus programs (Malawarebytes & Microsoft Security Essentials) but now facing the impacts of the virus, some of programs are corrupted or not properly functioning and XP is loading and working very slow.
I am also getting error pop us while operating some functions e.g.

"file association error when opening some .exe files"
"installer integrity check has failed"
"NGIS error"
etc etc

Now my question is;
I want to install the fresh copy of windows xp in my system, before I do that I want to backup following stuff from current XP to a fresh copy.

? I have three users in my current XP... How can I back up stuff for each user like search history, auto fill history, yahoo messenger profiles history like it is right now, history of different softwares (Teamviewer, Firefox, Office Suits, Torrent, skype, chrome, photoshop, corel draw, new installed fonts, entries saved in "RUN" command). Basically records of things I had previously typed in different programs like autocomplete history... How can I back up and synchronize it with fresh copy of XP.

? How can I get the list of all programs and features I installed besides XP components. I have to reinstalled them as well and there are many programs I don't remember installed on my OS.
If i get a list I reinstall them one-by-one.

Thanks,

Edited by hamluis, 12 November 2012 - 11:02 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 md2lgyk

md2lgyk

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:23 AM

Did your computer come with XP disks? If it did, reinstalling XP with them will return the computer to its original condition. Any programs you have now that don't show up are ones you installed. As for all the other stuff, I don't know if that can be saved. And why would you want to anyway??

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:01 AM

Most of the program settings and histories will be lost in the new install. User data for email, desktop, documents, and favorites can be copied to an external drive for transfer back after the OS is reinstalled. Program histories and passwords can be problematic. You might be abke to back up the program file and copy it over after the install. That may or may not work.Keep in mind that with every file you copy back you run the risk of bringing something nasty with it. Best bet is to save the basic stuff and bite the bullet with the histories and passwords.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users