Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook & PDF issues

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Andos

Andos

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:53 PM

Hi guys,

I did something stupid - I listened to Dell.

I was randomly receiving a little window in the bottom right hand corner of my screen every few days, it would disappear for about a week and then every few days again. The message was a long the lines of 'You have been logged on as a temporary user, any files saved will not be transfered across to your profile etc etc. Contact your administrator or try logging on again'

As this computer stands alone and is not networked I called Dell. The Dell representative told me I had to set up a new profile and then in Safe mode transfer all files onto an external hard drive then start a new profile and paste the files into it and delete the old profile.

I followed their instructions and Outlook didn't like it very much. I tried opening Outlook and had to set up my Outlook all over from scratch and lost all my contacts, mail, folders and sub-folders etc. I also lost all the auto-complete emailing details for contact names.

I had to pay alot for someone to come in and retrieve the data from the external hard drive as I did not know how to do this myself. The inbox is back with the folders & sub folders, However now I go to search my sent items or search any folder and it takes a long time for the computer to think and find the information I am looking for whereas in the past it was instant. I have a faily large inbox as I need to keep a trial of emails. It feels like there is a link missing or the path between the outlook files and my files is somewhat damaged or clouded?

Can someone like 'Neron' please help me to fix this issue?

My second problem as a result of doing this is now I open a PDF in acrobat pro (I have CS6) and i start to scroll up or down when the screen will just freeze. I have to wait a few seconds (10 or so) and then I can start scrolling up and down the PDF again. Can anyone please help me with this also?

Thanks so much

Andy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:20 AM

The freezing and email search lag are indicative of a data transfer bottleneck. I would do two things. First is to check your hard drives fragmentation. If the pst is heavily fragmented it will slow down the search. Same with the pdf. So right click computer and choose manage. Then go to disk defragment and defrag the hard drive. This will take a while. If that doesn't help then run a chkdsk /r this will take a long time as well so plan for it. Hioefully between the two that should do it.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 iceremover

iceremover

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:32 AM

maybe you can repair the outlook file see:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287497/en-us

#4 Andos

Andos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:47 PM

Hi Baltboy, I right clicked on computer and went to manage but cant find disk defrag? Can you please let me know where to find this?

Thanks

#5 Andos

Andos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:32 PM

I've just defraged. can you pleaes let me know where I find 'If that doesn't help then run a chkdsk /r'

#6 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

to do chkdsk /r you will need to open a cmd prompt by typing cmd in the search box. Make sure to right click it and run as an admin if this is windows 7. then type the command at the prompt. The computer will need to restart in order to run the proccess.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users