Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best way to update device drivers?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping

• Members
  • 264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:49 PM

Windows 7 Home Edition, SP 1

What is the most efficient way to ensure that all device drivers are up to date? I am nervous about updating any drivers for fear of screwing up my laptop which seems to be running just fine. Thoughts?

Also, there is a product, Device Doctor, that claims to identify and download updated drivers. Is this product safe? Can I rely on this product 100%?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:30 PM

my laptop which seems to be running just fine. Thoughts?

Yes, my thought is if it is running fine why would there be any need to "update" drivers? Drivers don't have a use-by date. Video drivers are the main ones that will be continually updated by manufacturers, to deal with reported issues, game compatibility and the bugs that occur because they are being updated so frequently. In contrast, drivers for many other devices have been stable for a long time and are not subject to continual development.

Like BIOS updates, if a system shows no sign of having problems, there is seldom a great requirement for driver updates. Unfortunately, some driver finder programs have entered into the snake oil realm inhabited by registry cleaners, and alarm users by insisting their drivers are "out of date". Often this is simply because the driver in question has been stable since the computer was made.

Especially with laptops (since they are more proprietary), drivers are best obtained from the manufacturer's support website. Even with video drivers, updates are often mainly for gaming performance, and for everyday and business use it's more important to have stability. With video drivers, this can mean it's actually better to have an older, proven version rather than a "cutting edge" release.
Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users