Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sygate Replacement

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 07:41 AM

So I have been using the free Sygate Personal Firewall for a while now. Apparently it is not being supported anymore. Anyone know of another free one that is equivalent (and doesn't stop functioning or reduce effectiveness after a 30 day trial)?

Eh, I might actually have to spring for one. But not if I can help it! :thumbsup: :flowers:

Edited by locally pwned, 22 March 2006 - 07:43 AM.

"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 08:10 AM

Sygate is still an excellent firewall. But at your request here are some freeware firewalls..

Firewalls (Run only one.)
Zone Alarm Free for Personal Use
SyGate Personal Free Edition (I personally use)
OutPost Firewall Free
Kerio Free Personal Firewall
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 10:45 AM

Firewalls are not like anti-viruses or anti-spyware applications; they do not need constant updating. The free version not being supported means only that no new development will be done or new versions issued. The software remains very functional and stable, and continues to be listed in the BC freeware post.
Many of us are going to continue to use Sygate; however, I would certainly make sure that you have a backup copy in case you need to reformat your hard drive.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 11:34 AM

I have to agree with jgweed. Kerio Personal Firewall 2.1.5 is one that I often recommend to others not using any firewall. This was the last freeware version that was strictly a firewall and not bundled with extra features that hog resources and slow down your system performance. Being old or not supported does not mean its not good or its time to change.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 locally pwned

locally pwned
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 08:28 AM

Thanks for the advice, guys. I will probably just keep using Sygate on my machines for now.

:thumbsup:
"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users