Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ew, Dial-up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 07:37 AM

My brother-in-law got a new lappy the other day. He's going to school and staying at his Granny's place during the week. Her internet is dial up.

The trouble is, every time he tries to use the lan or wireless to launch the browser, the dang dial-up prompt pops up; when you cancel it, the browser goes into offline mode.

Is there a way to set up the network connections in preferential order?? You'd think it would automatically be set up for lan first, then wireless, then modem. But hey, it's Windows.

It's been so many years since I have used dial-up...I think I was using a '98 OS at that point. However, I also remember deleting my dial-up connection every time I went to a lan so it wouldn't interfere. :thumbsup:

Thanks for any suggestions..
"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 08:03 AM

In IE go to Tools>Interent Options>Connections. Select use "Dialup only if network connection is not present".
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 locally pwned

locally pwned
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 06:22 AM

Ah, a browser issue rather than a network connection issue. Thanks Ack..
"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:02 AM

Did that help?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users