Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer power on button broken

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 k988

k988

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:33 PM

Hey, I have a Dell Dimension 3000. on the front of the tower is the power "on" button, & usually when I push it there is a click and it starts up. But now when I push it in nothing happens and the computer won't turn on. I think this is just a sign of its old age but is there anything I can do to fix it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

Well, it's not a "broken button". Most likely you need a new power supply.

#3 k988

k988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

haha i'm such a noob. thanks

but now i need help finding a replacement...here are my system specs

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/vVzT5wvqRw29PGXR7Ck85Zc

which do i buy?

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:35 PM

I will play devil's advocate for a sec. I have had the "On Switch" die on a number of machines. If there was a click from the switch, and it no longer clicks, then I might look at that switch. A lot of times the switch housing breaks and the switch itself no longer contacts the button on the front case trim.

Pop the case trim off, check for a broken switch, then if it is OK, pull the side cover,find the plugin contacts on the mobo for the power switch, and short those pins for a sec and see if it powers up. Hopefully you will have a motherboard that has the pinss labeled.

Edited by dpunisher, 11 November 2012 - 09:36 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:30 PM

I echo dpunisher. My "On" switch is currently poking out the front of my PC on the two wires. The frame behind the switch broke. I pulled it out the bottom of the case on the wires so I could use it. I grab it between two fingers to turn the PC on. If your switch is broken and you cannot find an exact replacement, any pushbutton will do the trick. All that switch does is complete a circuit which grounds a small DC voltage via a resistor.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:50 PM

Anything is possible, but a broken switch is the least likely cause. Still, it's easy enough to check.

#7 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:19 PM

The trouble is, when the PC does not start, the user is highly likely to press harder on the switch! Same applies to stopping a PC by holding down the "On" button; nothing seems to happen so the user presses harder. The ones I have are so poorly made, any pressure is likely to break the switch or backplate. Backplate would be an exaggeration when it's like a brittle plastic matchstick. Anyway, back to k988's problem.....

#8 k988

k988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:01 PM

Wow thanks guys! All I had to do was follow dpunisher's advice: pop off the case trim, push the button. Starts up fine. Looks like the only thing that was "broken" was the button on the front of the case. (Should I bother to fix/replace it? How do I do that?) Who would've guessed? Thanks again

#9 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:53 PM

Wow thanks guys! All I had to do was follow dpunisher's advice: pop off the case trim, push the button. Starts up fine. Looks like the only thing that was "broken" was the button on the front of the case. (Should I bother to fix/replace it? How do I do that?) Who would've guessed? Thanks again

I repeat my penultimate comments:
I echo dpunisher. My "On" switch is currently poking out the front of my PC on the two wires. The frame behind the switch broke. I pulled it out the bottom of the case on the wires so I could use it. I grab it between two fingers to turn the PC on. If your switch is broken and you cannot find an exact replacement, any pushbutton will do the trick. All that switch does is complete a circuit which grounds a small DC voltage via a resistor.

If there are a number of users it is better to make a decent job of it. Try and get a replacement. Alternatively find a small pushbutton, drill the front of the case where nothing is behind, mount switch and connect wires (solder or terminals as appropriate). I simply removed the microswitch part from the back of the button, threaded it out the bottom of the PC and it sits on the floor with its wired attached.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users