Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What addional security software do I need?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 noelckc

noelckc

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 04:55 AM

i have Avast, NOD32, sygate personal firewall,Microsoft AntiSpyware, Spyware gaurd, BH blaster, Spyware blaster and other small programs ie cccleaner...which of these dont i need?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 07:37 AM

All of them and more if you have the room. I would add Spybot Tutorial and AdAware SE Personal Edition Tutorial to start.
I would recommend the following onboard in case you need them. Once infected it becomes hard if not impossible to install software. Once installed these program do not that up resorces till used, except for hard drive space.

Trojan Removal Tool
Ewido Anti-Malware After a 14 day trial it will not scan automaticily(2000, and XP only)(Features)
A Squared Free

Online scans
Trendmicro's Housecall Internet Explorer Only
Trendmicro"s Housecall FoxFire Only
Panda's ActiveScan Internet Explorer Only
F-secure's Virus Scan Internet Explorer Only
SyGate's Trojan scan
eTrust Antivirus Web Scanner Internet Explorer Only

Removal Tools
Kaspersky Removal Tools
AVG Manual Virus Removal tool
MacAfee Stinger Virus Removal Tool
Symantec's Viurs Removal Tools
BitDefender Removal Tools Free
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 11:28 AM

i have Avast, NOD32

This can be a problem if they are both running together in real-time.

The concern with using more than one anti-virus program is due to conflicts that can arise from them both running together in real-time protection mode. Each program will often interpret the activity of the other as a virus and there is a greater chance of them alerting you to "False Positives". Further anti-virus software componets insert themselves into the operating systems core and using more than one can cause instability, crash your computer, slow performance and waste system resources.

While operating in real-time mode, if one AV program finds a virus and then the other AV program also finds the same virus, then both programs will be competing over exclusive rights on dealing with that virus. Each piece of AV software will attempt to seize the offending file and quarantine it. Further, if one AV finds and quarantines the file before the other one does, then you encounter the problem of both AV's wanting to scan each other's zipped or archived files and each reporting the other's quarantined contents. This can lead to a repetivite cycle of endless alerts that continually warn you that a virus has been found.

In contrast, using more than one anti-spyware program running in real-time mode simultaneously increases your protection coverage without causing the same kind of conflicts or affecting the stability of your system. No single program on the market can claim 100% detection/removal so using more than one is recommended. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes spyware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 12:42 PM

I most definitely concur with quietman, due to personal experience in the past. As he said, the two programs may conflict and cause.
Your system may lock up due to both software products attempting to access the same file at the same time.
I strongly recommend that you remove one of the active protection anti-viruses. You may however have multiple anti-spyware tools such as
Microsoft AntiSpyware, Spyware guard, Spyware blaster etc....
David

#5 noelckc

noelckc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 12:37 AM

Which Av do i remove?...I think NOD32 because im on the trial version...any agreements?

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,140 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 05:36 AM

Well avast is free and NOD32 you will have to pay for after the trial expires. If you don't mind paying, then go with NOD32. Its an excellent AV and does not require a lot of system resources while providing protection. If money is not a factor, then keep avast.

I am in the same situation as you. I used avast for years but was given the opportunity to download and use NOD32 for free at another forum where I work. Its has been an excellent AV thus far and I intend to keep it, although I will have to pay to renew my subscription.

However, I still have avast installed on my wife's PC and I have no complaints with it.

#7 vise

vise

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 03:58 PM

ackaln - that list is fab - ill try some of the stuff - lol - I need most of the things noelckc needs, I have problems - and im only a teenager - but this should do the trick....

#8 noelckc

noelckc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 12:48 AM

Me and vice have same things, im 15 and you guys can call me noel if it saves you typing. Thanks for help.

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 24 March 2006 - 01:34 AM

Glad we could help. Let us know if there is anything else you need.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#10 vise

vise

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 03:07 AM

i got a question - is it safe to run avf free and avast! at the same time?
i mean on ur toolbar, or should i use only one - and if so - which is the better?

#11 noelckc

noelckc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 03:34 AM

yeh which is better AVG or avast? i have both on cds which 1 shud i choose?

#12 vise

vise

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 04:51 AM

on cds?! wat u mean full paid versions?

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,140 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 05:37 AM

You will get varied opinions as to what AV to use. Both avast and AVG are excellent programs and well respected as quality free alternatives to paid for products.

However, here are some links to read for making your own decision.
Independent comparatives of Anti-Virus Software
List of Anti-virus Products: Reviews
virus.gr December 2005 Test Results & Rankings
Anti-Virus Comparative February 2006

Avast - How to Install, Configure, and Use Avast Antivirus
AVG - How to Install, Configure, and Use AVG

It is not recommended that you install and run both at the same time. The concern with using more than one anti-virus program is due to conflicts that can arise from them both running together in real-time protection mode. Each program will often interpret the activity of the other as a virus and there is a greater chance of them alerting you to "False Positives". Further anti-virus software componets insert themselves into the operating systems core and using more than one can cause instability, crash your computer, slow performance and waste system resources.

While operating in real-time mode, if one AV program finds a virus and then the other AV program also finds the same virus, then both programs will be competing over exclusive rights on dealing with that virus. Each piece of AV software will attempt to seize the offending file and quarantine it. Further, if one AV finds and quarantines the file before the other one does, then you encounter the problem of both AV's wanting to scan each other's zipped or archived files and each reporting the other's quarantined contents. This can lead to a repetivite cycle of endless alerts that continually warn you that a virus has been found.

#14 vise

vise

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 06:50 AM