Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My 256k Is Downloading At 10kbs...

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 noelckc

noelckc

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 05:21 AM

Hello,

I was wondering why my usual 30kbs a second download, has slowed down to an all time low of 10kbs a second...this is fustrating because im a big downloader..it has now permantly slowed down to 10kbs from the usual 30kbs a second..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 06:24 AM

Hi Noelckc. It would be easier to comment if you posted details of your system and what browser you use.
Every machine slowly gets bogged down and needs a bit of maintenance. A very good program to do this is CCleaner, but you should carefully go through the checklist first to make sure that you want to clean out each item. Then do a defrag of your harddrive. Let us know how you get on.
Cheers.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 08:07 AM

You may have malware taking over part of your bandwight. Do you have Security programs (antivirus, antispyware) installed and up to date?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 noelckc

noelckc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 12:45 AM

hell yeah i do, i have a lot of programs which i listed in another part of this site which im not sure about. I would like to know what programs are out there to make my computers internet a bit faster

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 01:40 AM

That would be this thread: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...=0&#entry256393

Sort out your anti-virus and anti-spyware stuff first and then see what your internet connection is like. I'd recommend you do some online scans as well. You said your a heavy downloader, are you in a P2P network?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 noelckc

noelckc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 02:33 AM

I was, then i recieved several virus from Limewire, and Bit coment and torrents. So i reformatted, and i download a lot of programs that invovle movie making and converting.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 06:46 AM

I am slightly confused. The topic title refers to 256kbs with a misraible actaul speed of 10kbs. You stated in the post it is normally 30kbs. My question is, what is you connection, dialup, ISDN, ADSL, Cable, Frame relay? What is your agreed to connection speed? What did the ISP state you could possibily attain? 256/128, 256/256, 1mb/256kbs?

#8 noelckc

noelckc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 12:52 AM

Sry, i have adsl. 256k/i think 64k upload. It usually downloads at about 30kbs a second. But only recently it has been downloading at 10kbs. I am having difficulty finding the problem causing this. I ran a test on my internet speed. And it was found to be 180kb. Is this the problem? The company i am with, or is it my computer.

#9 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 02:15 AM

Try this speed test too McAfee Speed Test.

You also need to be sure of the units these speeds are measured in - Kbps is NOT the same as KBps.

For example your ADSL connection at 256Kilobits per second translates to 32KiloBytes per second whick looks awfully close to your original download speed if that was KBps.

I'd contact your broadband carrier and ask them to verify the connection, I also wonder whether you picked up anything that's stealing your bandwidth?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#10 noelckc

noelckc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 03:32 AM

will do

#11 noelckc

noelckc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 03:35 AM

I did that speed test. here are results
65.12 Kbps
(8.14 KBps)

is this really slow for adsl?im not sure.

i was play warcraft FT at the time.

Edited by noelckc, 24 March 2006 - 03:36 AM.

#12 noelckc

noelckc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 03:38 AM

i ran it again...

94 Kbps
(11.75 KBps)

still with wc3 on

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 06:54 AM

There are several factors that can affect your speed. The one I find most often and is, by the waymost over looked, is bad wire. The wires in your house can be decades old. The run between where your modem plugs into the wall and the service box where the service from the street connects usaully is faulty. The service has a R11 jack just liks your wall outlet. Run to the store and get a 50 foot lenght of teleco wire and bypass from the modem stright to the service box. If your speed increase 50kbs or more I would contact the trlrco and report defective service lines.
If you are running a router (which for secrity you should) try connecting straight from the computer to the modem and see if that improves your preformance.
If you router is wireless change the broadcast channels. If may be receiving interferance form another wireless device.
The one thing is could be that youcannot change is the distance from the Telco relay station to your home. The futher away you are the less signal you will receive. The max distance is 13,500 feet. 2 1/4 miles. This is a constance and without moving closer to the station or the station locating closer to you it cannot be helpped.

#14 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 24 March 2006 - 04:01 PM

Hi. On another note, if you muck around with DVDs, you may like to check out the guides at http://www.afterdawn.com/

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#15 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 06:54 PM

Those are really bad speeds for ADSL, although I dont know what effect the game might have on those results. If they are still like that without the game running I'd be phoning your service provider to ask what's wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users