Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My 3.3 WEI computer in school is better than my 4.4 WEI laptop. why?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tainoy

tainoy

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:05 AM

Hello,

My computer in school (desktop) has a Windows Experience Index of 3.3 but it seems to perform better than my 4.4 WEI laptop. Maybe WEI is not a reliable measure of how fast the computer is but just to give you an idea. I don't know the exact specs of my school pc but i think it has almost the same specs as my laptop in terms of ram and clock speed. Here are my laptop specs:

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 32-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Acer
System Model: TravelMate P243
BIOS: InsydeH2O Version 03.72.02V1.05
Processor: Intel® Pentium® CPU B970 @ 2.30GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
Memory: 2048MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 1878MB RAM
Page File: 3348MB used, 1230MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

Anyway, my laptop freezes a lot of times, especially when I haven't turned it off for a long time. This just doesn't happen with my school pc even if it's on 24/7. I was the one who installed windows 7 on both computers so they have almost the same programs installed (except maybe Connectify app in my laptop).

Now i'm wondering if I can still make my laptop perform faster or should I just buy a new one? My CPU usage meter indicates 87% of my ram is used. this is usually the case when i'm working. Do you think this will get faster if I upgrade the ram? i just bought this laptop around 3 months ago so I don't want to spend money for a new one but it's really annoying when i'm doing my homework or even just browsing.

I will update this thread when I get to school tomorrow and post my school pc's specs so we could compare the two. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:07 PM

Do you think this will get faster if I upgrade the ram?

Hello and Welcome -
Most updated Windows7 computers will run about 4G RAM, rather than your current installed 2G RAM, so it would not hurt to upgrade this -
If These TravelMate P243 Specs are the same / similar to yours, it includes Memory "Base RAM size 4 GB" -
Part of Acer's business lineup, the TravelMate P243 features an Intel Ivy Bridge processor, 8GB of RAM, an HD webcam, and a 14-inch 1366 x 768 display. Availability date: Aug. 14, 2012
Also This Review says "Basic RAM is 4G" - So I would look at 4Gig as a standard setup.

my laptop freezes a lot of times, especially when I haven't turned it off for a long time. << I would turn the computer off at least at the end of the day and save your work
Personally only, I turn my laptop off every day (night) as it may be 2 or 3 days between using it, and I like to start fresh each time - Your choice there -

Desktops and laptops are a bit different with shutdown times etc, but I still believe in turning them off when totally finished, and it only takes about 1 or 2 minutes to restart them for each session - Try this for a while, and clean out unwanted programs on a regular basis also -

Regards -

#3 tainoy

tainoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:44 AM

Hello again, here are the specs of my school pc. It looks like the specs are really better than that of my laptop.

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 32-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: HP Compaq dx7400 Microtower
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E8300 @ 2.83GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 3072MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3062MB RAM
Page File: 2137MB used, 3983MB available
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

So yes, I'll consider upgrading my laptop's memory. Too bad the CPU can't be replaced anymore. By the way, even though TravelMate P243 series are part of acer's business lineup, I bought this lower end version mainly for the price and I thought 2 GB memory and 2.3GHz speed are enough for my needs. Oh well, I guess I'm wrong.. :)

#4 tainoy

tainoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:59 PM

by the way, one thing that makes me doubt if memory upgrade would help fix this problem is that I never really experienced getting to a point where the entire 2 GB of my ram was consumed. Usually it's just 70-80% when I'm working, with about 5-7 programs running, although that's also the time when it gets noticeably slow. So, does my work not require 2 GB of memory or is it just the OS preventing full consumption of ram?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users