Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Nt Logon Application

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 noelckc

noelckc

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 05:13 AM

hello, i was wondering what Windows NT logon Application is...because its trying to access the net and i bloked it..and its constantly giveing me a message saying Windows NT logon Application has been bloked blah blah

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 07:07 AM

We need the exact message.Blah blah tells us nothing about the program and if it is a windows app. or malware. Also need to know about NT. Is it NT4 and what service pack?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,616 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 09:43 AM

Hi noelckc,

You're getting that message because you still have some malware on your system. I looked at your log posted here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...topic=46952&hl=

Wait til Grinler declares your log clean before you start asking for other help. Grinler is one of the best.

No big deal, I know this may not seem related so just as a explanation, this line in your log is what's causing the problem:

O20 - Winlogon Notify: winopn32 - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\winopn32.dll

That is a registry key that allows this malware to start when you log in, it essentially has hooked into Windows itself, and conventional removal methods don't work. Stick with Grinler's guidance, tho, and he'll find a way, it just may take a few more tries.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#4 noelckc

noelckc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 12:40 AM

k, i realy appreciate all u guys help, and fast replies keep it up :D

#5 noelckc

noelckc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 03:05 AM

i need 2 ask a couple questions
1) does ur computer lag when running Ad aware Se and when u browse net @ same time?

2) shuould i take advice from people who are just members or people under 500 posts?

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:00 AM

1) It depends on your computer. Why P-III 500mhs with 512mb RAM does. But I have friend with a Dell 3.0 2gig thank never slows down no matter what he runs.

2) We have new members that have just found the site, but have been IS\IT professionals for years. It will depend on the advice. We monitor e forum very closely. While we may not know the answer, we came usually tell when someoneis speaking f something they know nothing about or just made a mistake. We usually correct te bad information, and on occasion put the entire post or even the enire topic.

If at any time you feel you have been give bad advice or been wrongly treated, please contct a staff member and make them aware of the problem. We cannot correct a proble if we do not know it exsists.
We are here for you not the other way around.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,616 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 10:32 AM

In regard to your first question, assuming you are talking about a full system scan, then yes it will make your PC performance lag. Just like running a scan with your anti-virus. I would recommend that you not do anything with your computer when you run such scans. Go out and walk your dog or something.

As a matter of fact these scans are most effective if you run them in safe mode--without networking. Because some of the malware that may need to be removed is running in normal mode which makes cleaning it up more difficult. And no networking because some malware will communicate with its servers and may be downloading more malware to an area already scanned.

Something else I've noticed in your log that will slow your PC's performance down--you are running two antivirus--Avast and Nod32. This is never recommeded because AV's are heavy on resources and can cause several other problems that can actually reduce your security. And I would think even with a screaming fast PC. You really need to choose one and uninstall the other. If you've paid for Nod32 I would suggest keeping it as it's highly rated among security experts. Avast is fine too, and it's free, so the choice is up to you.

I only mention this because Grinler handles a bunch of logs and focuses on malware, so he could miss this fact.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#8 noelckc

noelckc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 12:54 AM

Cheers, for the advice. I removed NOD32 because i didnt want to pay :D. So good to know im the only one gettin some lag.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users