Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

audio not working on many youtube titles/ memory seems limited

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 nyseman

nyseman

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:53 AM

Hello,

Lately my computer seems to have problems loading more than a few explorer tabs at once. Before it seemed like I could open three times as many tabs with different web pages in each one. Now, if I open more than about 7-8, and sometimes less, my windows turn blaok and I have to close them out. Also, from time to time my computer freezes up for a while and then will resume.

An additional issues is that the audio is out on many youtube titles--mostly the informative videos about different topics. I can play audio on Netflix streaming and other youtube music videos (not all of them, of course), but I can't seem to listen to any of the seminar-type videos that are on youtube.

I appreciate your help on this!

Cordially,

Michael

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:44 PM

Hi, I can at least get you started.
The audio problem could be driver-related.

Download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Update the definitions and then run a Quick Scan
When the scan is finished, click "Show Results" and then after making sure every item's check box is CHECKED, click "Remove Selected". Copy and paste the generated log file (it will open in Notepad) as a reply to this thread and then restart your computer.

#3 nyseman

nyseman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:49 AM

Hi,

I ran MBAM but when it finished, it automatically created a log file in notepad and I didn't see a "show results" button and there was no list of items that I could select and click "remove selected." Please advise. The scan came back clean, it seems. Here it is below:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.65.1.1000
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2012.11.13.02

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64 NTFS
Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421
Michael :: MICHAEL-PC [administrator]

11/13/2012 2:38:19 AM
mbam-log-2012-11-13 (02-38-19).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 206809
Time elapsed: 4 minute(s), 44 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 0

(end)

#4 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

There wasn't a results screen because the log came back clean.

Have you tried updating your audio driver(s)?

#5 nyseman

nyseman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:11 AM

Hello,

I tried to update my video driver via the control panel->hardware and sound, but when I select properties on the Realtek High Def Audio, the "update driver" option is grayed out. I also uninstalled and re-installed Adobe Flash so it is now running the current version. Still I'm able to listen to some youtube, but with many more obscure titles, the audio is not working. Again, when I play anything from Netflix, no problems. And still, my memory seems to get eaten up more quickly as my windows tabs will go black when I open more than a few.

Thanks.

#6 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:01 AM

I still feel this (at least the audio issue) may be somewhat driver related. What is the make and model of your computer? I can try and find the most up to date drivers for you, or, you can install SlimDrivers which will scan your drivers and help you update them automatically.

We can look for an infection still, however.

Let's try an ESET OnlineScan
  • Hold down Control and click on the following link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
    ESET OnlineScan
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    • Click on Posted Image to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Check Remove found threats and Scan potentially unwanted applications (If given the option, choose "Quarantine" instead of delete.)
  • Push the Start button.
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, push Posted Image
  • Push Posted Image, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Push the Posted Image button.
  • Push Posted Image

Please include the following in your reply
ESET log
Any questions/comments you may have

#7 nyseman

nyseman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:26 AM

Hello,

I ran ESET and it found some infected files. I will post the results below. FYI, my computer is relatively new ASUS U46E, i7. Should I still be running SlimDrivers? Please advise what I should do next. Thank you.

ESET log:

C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\8YQ56HWZ\zigabids-guide-to-rose-bowl-seating[1].htm HTML/Iframe.B.Gen virus deleted - quarantined
C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Local\Temp\~!#73E7.tmp a variant of Win32/Kryptik.AOSG trojan cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Local\Temp\~!#7BC4.tmp a variant of Win32/Kryptik.AOSE trojan cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Local\Temp\~!#894D.tmp a variant of Win32/Kryptik.AOSG trojan cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Local\Temp\~!#90FB.tmp a variant of Win32/Medfos.FF trojan cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\Users\Michael\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\19\3436a93-52c23efb a variant of Java/Exploit.CVE-2012-5076.A trojan deleted - quarantined

#8 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

I would still run SlimDrivers, it will make sure all of your drivers are up to date. Computers rarely ship with the newest drivers.

Please download DrWeb-CureIt and save it to your desktop. DO NOT perform a scan yet.

Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with Dr.Web CureIt as follows:
  • Double-click on drweb-cureit.exe to start the program.
  • Cancel any prompts to download the latest CureIt version and click Start.
  • At the prompt to "Start scan now", click Ok. Allow the setup.exe/driver to load if asked by any of your security programs.
  • The Express scan will automatically begin.
    (This is a short scan of files currently running in memory, boot sectors, and targeted folders).
  • If an infected object is found, you will be prompted to move anything that cannot be cured. Click Yes to All.
  • When complete, click Select All, then choose Cure > Move incurable.
    (This will move any detected files to the C:\Documents and Settings\userprofile\DoctorWeb\Quarantine folder if they can't be cured)
  • Now put a check next to Complete scan to scan all local disks and removable media.
  • In the top menu, click Settings > Change settings, and UNcheck "Heuristic analysis" under the "Scanning" tab, then click Ok.
  • Back at the main window, click the green arrow "Start Scanning" button on the right under the Dr.Web logo.
  • When the scan is complete, a message will be displayed at the bottom indicating if any viruses were found.
  • Click "Yes to all" if asked to cure or move the file(s) and select "Move incurable".
  • In the top menu, click file and choose save report list.
  • Save the DrWeb.csv report to your desktop.
  • Exit Dr.Web Cureit when done.
  • Important! Reboot your computer because it could be possible that files in use will be moved/deleted during reboot.
  • After reboot, post the contents of the log from Dr.Web in your next reply. (You can use Notepad to open the DrWeb.cvs report)

#9 nyseman

nyseman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:29 AM

Hello,

I ran SlimDrivers and updated about 14 different drivers including system Intel drivers and the audio driver. It seems to have fix the youtube problem...thank you! I will keep testing it.

Regarding the Dr. Web CureIt, both express and complete scans came back clean with no infections found. I will keep testing my computer to see if my memory situation has improved. Is there anything else I should do? By the way, I am currently running three different programs per my last computer fix episode from this site. The three are: MalwareBytes, Scotty, and MSE. Is this still recommended? Thank you for your help.

#10 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:48 PM

I'm not sure what Scotty is, but Malwarebytes and Microsoft Security Essentials are both highly recommended.

Next time your memory usage spikes and your computer begins to freeze up, open up task manager and see what is using the most RAM and what is using the most CPU.

Let's clean out your temporary files

Download TFC
  • Close ALL running applications as TFC will terminate them before attempting to clean up the temporary files.
  • Double-click on the TFC icon.
  • When the program starts, click on the Start button. TFC will terminate the Explorer process and all running applications and then begin the process of cleaning out all of your temp folders.
  • When done, press OK to reboot your computer and finish the cleanup.
Note 1: Depending on how much data is currently stored in the Temp folders, this process can take quite a while to remove all of the files, so please be patient.

Note 2: This program will not delete your Cookies or Browser History.

#11 nyseman

nyseman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:08 PM

I ran TFC and rebooted. Should I be doing anything else at this time? Also, should I uninstall any of the progams we used? (Dr Web CureIt,etc..) Please advise. Thank you!

#12 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:37 AM

Dr. Web can be deleted, it's not installed so you can just delete the .exe file.
ESET is an online scanner. I would keep Malwarebytes installed and run scans regularly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users