Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

help wamted

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 airmale

airmale

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:08 PM

Could someone please tell me "in plain english" what this message means and how I get around it,it is simply a site that has archival photos of football teams my late Father played in the late '50s - I would like to access it and download the photos's

Forbidden
Your IP has been banned from accessing this site. This is a result of visiting a section of the site which has no visible links to it, and is also explicitly disallowed in the robots.txt file. If you believe this is an error, please fill out the form below and we will review the activity which led to the ban. If it appears to be an honest mistake, we will remove the ban.

Running programs advertised as "SEO optimizers", or other programs intended to manipulate your site's rankings, could potentially result in your ip being banned. Many of these programs are poorly written, often ignoring the robots.txt file and spidering every page on a site with a frequency that looks, on our end, like a DDOS attack. If you run a program that can't behave from your IP address, it may be blocked.

Edited by Andrew, 10 November 2012 - 10:02 PM.
Mod Edit: Moved from Win7 To Web Browsing - AA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:56 PM

The website thinks you are a malicious (or badly-written) computer program. It bases this conclusion on your internet connection's IP address, which is assigned by your ISP. IP addresses change over time and for a variety of reasons and it's likely that at some point in the past someone who was running a malicious or badly written computer program against the website happened to be assigned the IP you now are using.

The 'robots.txt' file is a special file that a webmaster can use to let friendly computer programs ("bots", e.g. Google-bot) know which pages they are not welcome to access. It would seem that whomever was running a bot from the IP you now use was blacklisted because it accessed files and pages which it (being a bot) wasn't welcome to access.

One way around would be to fill out the form on the page to let them know you're human. Alternatively, you can turn off or unplug your modem for 30 seconds. When you turn the modem on again there's a good chance you will be issued a different IP address (if not, repeat.)

Edited by Andrew, 10 November 2012 - 10:06 PM.

#3 airmale

airmale
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:14 PM

I will try that now - thanks for the reply

#4 airmale

airmale
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:54 PM

Hi
I tried that may times to no avail any other suggestions ?
Thanks

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:22 AM

Aside from contacting the webmaster, not really :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users