Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Odd computer failure

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 That Other Guy

That Other Guy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:19 PM

Hey,

So, I don't usually post question in forums, but this time I'm stumped. For no discernible reason my computer has become all but unusable. Just as I went to install an update to Virtualbox my computer froze; it would respond but only after several minutes and some programs, such as firefox and the installer (which never got administrative clearance, so I don't think it's the cause) wouldn't respond at all. Several reboots failed to fix the problem. The computer runs fine in safe mode with networking. The last time I tried to start the system normally I managed to get a look at Windows Task Manager before my desktop background went white and the computer appeared to completly freeze. According to Task Manager my CPU was only working at ~7% and less than 40% of my memory was in use. No odd processes were running, nor did any process have oddly high memory usage, cpu usage, page faults, or handles.

I have run a Norton anti-virus scan which turned up nothing. The temperature of my computer was fine during at least two of the crashes (I expect during all of them, but I couldn't get Speccy open every time). I am checking my hard-drive for damaged sectors but don't expect to find any. As near as I can tell my computer is in fine working order, and I can't think of anything that would have caused a change in my computers state, but when I boot it up outside of safe mode something fails; my guess is one of the windows host processes but I'm shooting in the dark. I simply don't even know where to start looking for errors; any help would be very much appreciated.

Specs:
Windows 7 Professional
500 GB hard drive (60GB free)
4GB RAM
i5 processor

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PcCmdr

PcCmdr

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

1st Id pump ram to 8Gb
Free some HDD space up too!!!!
Probably something you may have installed recently or changed settings of have you tried undoing your last few actvity events in safe mode?
Thats where i begin in those situations and get a good result.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:40 AM

Hello -

According to Task Manager my CPU was only working at ~7% and less than 40% of my memory was in use
No odd processes were running, nor did any process have oddly high memory usage, cpu usage, page faults, or handles.

I think this shows that 4G of RAM is OK at this time, I run the same, as long as it is tested -

Memtest 86 would be the way to test your RAM Sticks - Create a bootable CD from the tutorial and see if any memory is faulty at the moment - Full directions are given in the links - Run the test for 12 hours minimum, and see what the results are -

Typical examples are listed on the site along with full diagrams -

Thank You -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users