Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[xldr] ata error

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jamer101

jamer101

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:00 PM

Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron 9400 (it is about 5 or so years old). Today I was trying to reboot and got this error.
"PBR1"
"[xldr] ata error"
I downloaded the GParted iso and ran it. It did not show "boot" next to my hard drive so I added that and rebooted. I got a different error this time, it says "2 boot", then if I hit enter it goes to the "ata error".

I next ran the Gparted again, this time I clicked "check" next to my hard drive, it ran and I rebooted with same results.
I'm very green when it comes to this stuff. One thing I noticed that I don't know if it will help is that there are the following things listed under the Gparted screen.

/dev/sda2 (this one has Fat16 and DellUtility and Diag under the flag section)
/dev/sda3 (this has NTFS and boot - which I added)
/dev/sda4 (this has Fat32 and Dell Restore, nothing under flag)
unallocated (this has unallocated in the column where "fat32" above is)

Not sure if this stuff will help.

Edited by hamluis, 11 November 2012 - 11:02 AM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

Today I was trying to reboot and got this error.

Any significant actions done to the computer before you rebooted? Any other details you can provide?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:23 PM

It's possible that you are infected, IMO, after reviewing a similar topic at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic467425.html .

OTOH...it could be covered by http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&cs=19&docid=271187&doclang=en&l=en&s=dhs .

I guess that I have to wonder why you downloaded/ran GParted if you have no clue as to what the screen may indicate.

Louis

#4 jamer101

jamer101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:46 AM

I ran that program because I found the exact same thing on a thread and that person had the same results with the "2 boot" error after putting "boot" in the flag column.
Any suggestions from here? I don't have the recovery console disk, but I did download a version on it on cdr and ran it, it blue screened me everytime I tried to run it.

Here are the details of the blue screen:

STOP: 0x0000007E (0xc0000005, 0xf76120bf, 0xf7a5e208, 0xf7a5df08)
pci.sys - address F76120bf base at F760b000, date stamp 3b7d855c

Not sure if this will help.
Are there some other settings I can try in that iso program.

Thanks

#5 jamer101

jamer101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:58 AM

I followed the link to the dell support and when I enter the bios it doesn't have anything under devices for usb, so I'm not sure if that is just for desktops.
I really think it just isn't recognizing the partition or something. Is it normal to have the 4 partitions (i have that one that says "unallocated").

How do I get into the recovery console? I can run diagnostics if I hit F12, but it doesn't find anything wrong. I don't have the original setup cd. Also I hate to lose everything on my HD if I have to format it.

Thanks

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:02 AM

I don't know anything about Dell systems...and I certainly cannot tell you whether it is a malware situation or not.

On the premise that it's a hardware situation...I will move this to Internal Hardware where more knowledgeable personnel can have a go at assisting you.

Louis

#7 jamer101

jamer101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:31 PM

I ran a xp boot disc to get to the recovery console. I ran chkdsk and fixboot. The fixboot said it made a new boot, but upon reload it says same error. I just checked gparted again and when I ran "check" under submenu for the hard drive partition it came back ok, so I ran it for the fat16/dell utility it had an error saying "file system doesn't have expected sizes for Windows to like it. Cluster size is 2k (1k expected);number of clusters is 20017 (39957 expected);size of FATs is 79 sectors(157 expected).

I read on a few other forums that the FIXBOOT and chkdsk, seemed to clear up this situation. I'll keep reading and trying things.
Thanks

#8 jamer101

jamer101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

I have a solution to my problem. I ran fixmbr with some debate because people were saying that I'd likely lose my data, but i ran it from the recovery console and it worked!!! If I would have only done this from the start, man oh man. Hopefully it continues to work.
Thanks for help from everyone else.
jamer

#9 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:58 PM

That's good news.
Thanks for sharing.
Be safe :)

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:25 PM

Nice work...the fixmbr command on Dells has not causeed any loss of data that I'm aware of...but it may prevent the user from using the Dell recovery mechanism on that system in the future.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users