Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Startup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 josephs141

josephs141

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

Hello,

Windows lag time, once inside Windows, has increased and slower.

Something stange is happening. My lag time after entering Windows was no more than 8-12 seconds. XP Professional would load Microsoft office programs imediately and internet explorere would launch rapidly and immediately. Now the lag time after entering windows is 30 seconds. IE8 and other programs take much longer. This is baffling. I am asking for your professional assistance in determining what could be causing this.

I have not made any changes in MSCONFIG.

The only programs that startup with Windows are tp4.exe and ctfmon.exe
I have run scans by Malwarebytes, comboix and GMER. Each program found nothing. The issue is elsewhere.

What do you suggest?

Thank you for your upcoming help

IBM R50e

1.4 GHZ

512 MB RAM

Windows XP Professional

Edited by josephs141, 10 November 2012 - 02:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

To start you should read this article from here at BC.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

Hit the Start button then Right Click My computer>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Properties>>>>>>>>>>>
Harwdare Tab>>>>>>>>>>>>>Device Manager.
Scroll down to the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controlers Left click the + to the left of the drivers.
Right Click and uninstall all of your Primary IDE drivers there most likely will be more than one of the Primary IDE Drivers Make sure and un-install All of them prior to rebooting.
Upon un-installing the last one your computer should prompt a reboot allow it.

#4 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:58 PM

My startup is way longer than yours so I get Systinternals' Process Explorer to run on startup. It is better than Task Manager in these circumstances because it uses colour and new processes are easy to identify. You can see what is going on. I've mostly found the issue on a normally clean PC are programs that decide to run updates as everything is kept waiting to start (covered in Step 4 of the article dc3 linked). I don't have anything automatically updating but sometimes when you install an update, it resets the auto update.

Given your short start time, there are applications that record the starting of programs so you can analyze what is going on. The programs usually purport to be able to optimize startup time. I've found the recording useful, the optimizing a waste of time if not detrimental. May shed some light however; uninstall after use.

#5 josephs141

josephs141
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:07 PM

Thank you for your replies

#6 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication