Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MBR / ACCESS DENIED

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 sjodin

sjodin

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:22 PM

desktop pc issue. I used rouge killer one day and it found a few things which i let it repair, but it also found a problem with the MBR. I thought it over a bit then hit the key to allow it to repair that issue. When i rebooted the computer black screen no system disk.

I talked with the programs author for a bit and he suggested testdisk. I tried running that which it did run but I could not figure our for sure all the steps in the sequence to repair a hard drive so I was lost. I have looked at some youtube vids on using the program so i am getting a bit more comfortable. But still a little lost.

I got a hold of the Kaspery recovery disk . It found several Trojans and other issues. After running several times i finally got a clean bill of health from it. I have been using a USB Hard Drive controller to look at the drive in question. It has 2 partitions, partition 1 when I click on it with mycomputer is get access denied, I look at it with properties it's 100 full (which it is not IRL) partition 2 is fine but is only data.

I was able see and back up all the files on the damaged partition to a jump drive with testdisk.

I am able to run things like superspyware and malewarebytes on the #1 partition and it does find things which are fixed - however in the end the result is the same, the drive will not boot, I cannot look at the first partition with basic windows things like mycomputer.

So the author of rouge killer thought it might be an update he did to his program but after finding these trojans, I doubt it I think it's more what they did or are still doing if I have not got them all. I was in contact with the author for a while but that has ended as of a week or two ago.

I think now that the bugs are gone, I will verify. At that point I was thinking that the windows disk might assist in bringing things back to life with either some of the hard drive or system utilities or do a volume restore. So that is where I am.

I really do think that with the programs you fellas have and your expertise that i can get the hd back into service without having to wipe it all out and reload everything. That is always a bummer since you never get it all back like it was, so I am really trying to go at this from another direction.

it just occurred to me that using testdisk now that kasprey and the other program I used have given me a clean bill of health just might be successful in straightening out the MBR or whatever issue is that is keeping the hd from loading the system info and firing up. Hmmmm ??

Any assistance I could get would be greatly appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:16 PM

Hi sjodin, and welcome to BC!! :thumbsup:

My name is bloopie and I will try to help you as best I can!

First, some questions as they are very important:

• Are you able to boot the PC successfully in any mode at all when that drive is the master?
  • What Operating system are you running? Windows XP? Windows 7? 32 or 64-bit?
  • Do you have access to a thumbdrive or a USB device we can use?
  • Do you have your original Windows Installation CD handy?

Please answer these questions as best you can and then we'll see what options we have at our disposal. :)

bloopie

#3 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:21 PM

Hello again,

This is a 3-Day Bump! If you still need assistance, please answer the questions in my previous post.

If you do not respond in another 48 hours, I will be forced to close the topic!

bloopie

#4 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:52 AM

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is now closed.In the event you still have problems, please send me or any Moderator a Private Message and ask them to reopen this topic within the next 5 days. Please include a link to your topic in the Private Message. Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users