Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installed new HDD on HP desktop, now have no signal or distorted monitor

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pamela2017

pamela2017

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:30 AM

Two days ago my computer started freezing up and hanging, then the screen icon colors would flash. It would only function in safe mode, but not fully. I have managed to save everything important but after running a diagnostic, I got a message that said "error code BIOHD-8" (I have an HP amd athlon II with quad core 630 processor, 2.8 GHz, 64 bit). I was informed that this meant my drive had gone bad. It was a WE10EADS Caviar Green 1T, 32MB cache. I replaced it with a 500GB, 16MB cache Caviar Blue because I never used even half my previous disk space.
Once replaced, I turned it on and got a "no signal" message on my monitor. I restarted while holding esc/del, and the screen came up but extremely distorted...like the splash screen was stretched sort of. Then when I try putting in the disc to load Windows 8, the characters cannot even be read. I double checked with another monitor using a different type cables (dvi instead of hdmi), same result, so it is not the monitor(s). All the fans are running, no beeps, the computer power like isn't flashing and all the cables seem to be correctly connected. I don't believe I did anything to the mobo as I grounded myself on the door off the computer case constantly while working.
Please help :D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

From what you have described it sounds like you entered the BIOS. This would explain why the picture quality was so poor.

Since you now know how to enter the BIOS you need to go in and make sure that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order and the hdd second. If it isn't you will not be able to boot from the installation disc.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 pamela2017

pamela2017
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:10 PM

Thank you for replying. My original boot disks that I made as you are directed to when the computer was just purchased went bad and I cannot boot from them. My restore information is all on the bad HDD, so I cannot use that either, so I purchased a new Windows 8; I assume that acts as a boot disk if I have it in the CD drive when I turn on the computer. I try taking a picture a of what the screen looks like if that helps clarify what it looks like.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:10 AM

I'm not sure what the combination of Esc/Del is accessing. Usually to access the BIOS in a HP you press the F10 key.

Please post the model of this computer and I will make sure which function key is needed to access the BIOS. Unless you have previously set the optical device as the first device in the boot order it usually comes from the factory with the hdd as the first device in the boot order. You can try using the F10 and see if it works, it won't hurt anything.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 pamela2017

pamela2017
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:30 PM

I tried the F10. The monitor just said no signal again and went to sleep. I also tried putting the old HDD on and got the same results.
Since I can't get anything on the screen to give you real specifics, I can only give you the information on the side sticker and some info I had written down before:

HP Pavilion p6310f
AMD Athlon II X4 630 Quad-Core Processor
6GB DDR3 system memory
1 Terabyte hard drive
SuperMulti DVD Burner with LightScribe
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Came with NVIDIA 9100 integrated graphics, put in a better NVIDIA card but I can get the name of it out of the system

From before I lost the monitor use:
HDD name?: WDC WDEADS-65M2BO SCSI
32MB Buffer
SATA, SATA2 interface
Transfer rate: 300 Mps
P/N:5189-2998
2.8 GHz
64 bit
7200 rpm
6GB installed memory

This is the information for the new HDD I purchased:
WD Caviar Blue, only 500GB because I never used the full 1T

So I still got no signal with either HDD hooked up, even with the W8 disk in the drive for start up. Neither VGA or DVI work. Then I did a real good job of blowing out dust with compressed air, reseating connections, including the video card. To my amazement, connected to the old drive, the screen came up but the dimensions were changed. I was able to download malwarebytes and it took just over 4 hours to do a complete full scan. It found 20 objects, I removed them all, clicked on restart, then after shutting down I was back to the no signal stage. I tried turning it off completely, rechecking the connections, let it sit about 20 seconds, then restarted. Still no signal. I do notice one particular thing - and it does not make me feel good about the future of my computer - when I start it up just the fans seem to go on. I'm not hearing that audible whirring familiar to computers starting up and the printer does not make any of the noises it does when it reboots with the computer reboot. Near as I can tell, the computer is not getting to the point where it checks the peripherals. As I have heard this asked on other places I have been looking at, there are no beeps upon starting the computer. :rip: :(

I'm getting that creeping feeling that my mobo is fried.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:30 AM

Are any LEDs lighting up when you start the computer?

Can you hear the fan or feel the fan in the rear of the PSU?

It's possible that you have a problem with the PSU.

I still suspect that you had entered the BIOS which has a very limited video driver, this would explain the poor picture.

With the new hdd you will not see anything until you boot from a bootable CD/DVD, like the disc for installing Windows. The computer will not be able to boot from the disc unless the CD.DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order.

#7 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:04 AM

One reason you may not be able to see the install screen from Windows 8 is one of two things related to your video card. First it is dying. Try going back to the on board graphics to see if the expansion card is faulty. Second although it seems unlikely with the age of your system is that the card is not supported under windows 8. Also once you install the expansion card make sure you access the BIOS turn off the on board video if possible. Otherwise there will be a setting to tell the computer to look to the graphics card first(PCI-E).
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users