Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows update problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 arizonaredhead

arizonaredhead

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:30 PM

I had to format my son's pc and reinstall XP because the machine was showing a BSOD on reboot. The BSOD was just a flash, I could not get any clue from that as to why things went south. So now I have XP installed and conected to my WLAN, but I cannot get updates from microsoft. This morning when I finished the install I initialized IE and it opened to a Bing home page and then it gave me the "Windows has encountered a problem and needs to close...Blah Blah Blah" So I opened IE again and made quick like a bunny and got into "internet options" and changed the home page to Google.com and now the browser works. Dont ask me why that worked, it just did. But I still cant get updates!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:35 PM

But I still cant get updates!

Please be specific.Any error codes?

#3 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:04 PM

Have you tried googling "Windows Updates" and clicking the link. It may temporarily solve the updating until someone (not me) can sort out IE for you.

Edited by Nanobyte, 09 November 2012 - 11:04 PM.

#4 arizonaredhead

arizonaredhead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:39 PM

I am going to call Microsoft tomorrow. Apparently they offer free technical support. I had no idea.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:40 AM

FWIW: When you reinstall Windows...it reverts to the browser that was part of that initial issue. If the install CD reflects anything other than SP3, you may not be able to access Windows Update and download critical updates. Bing is the default search engine installed in IE these days, last time I checked. Changing that is simply a matter of manually configuring IE when it prompts for such (as it will).

Louis

#6 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:37 PM

...it reverts to the browser that was part of that initial issue....

I recently re-installed Windows XP on one machine and it was exactly as you noted including Bing. The install was SP2 so I had to install SP3 and a zillion security updates. There is also a MS "Fix It" for Windows Update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users