Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Keyboard

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 travelfool

travelfool

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:03 PM

Hello there,

My girlfriend has a Toshiba NB100 running Windows XP. Her keyboard all works fine except HALF of the 'Fn' keys. M = 0, J = 1, K = 2, L = 3......and so on. When you press these keys the 'Fn' option is automatic, so when typing hotmail you get h6t0a53. All the other 'Fn' keys work fine (brightness, sound, wireless etc).

The driver is 'Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard. I have already tried to uninstall the driver from 'Device Manager' and restarted my computer, but the same problem continues!?!

I can't remember exactly but the Touchpad went crazy a while back and I uninstalled that driver and restarted, which sorted the problem of the touchpad, but I think the keyboard might have messed up around the same time.

how can I fix this as typing is not easy at all?

Cheers guys!

Edited by travelfool, 09 November 2012 - 07:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:42 PM

A quick google of the problem suggests various possible key combos depending on brand. Yours may be one of these or similar:

Fn + Num Lock
Fn + F11
Fn + F11 + Scroll lock
Alt + Num Lock
Fn + F8
If any have an unwanted effect, repeat to cancel.

I would suggest you first try keys that are close to Fn, ie two keys may have been accidentally pressed with one finger.
Edit: I found a layout for the NB100, Fn + F10 is numeric keypad which seems likely, otherwise Fn + Ctrl and Fn + Enter are also related to the numeric keypad

Edited by Nanobyte, 09 November 2012 - 09:00 PM.

#3 travelfool

travelfool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:56 PM

wow....so simple :oopsign:

thank you Nanobyte

#4 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

Well don't leave us hanging, which one was it?!! I found another ref to Toshiba which showed num pad as Fn + F11 not F10

#5 travelfool

travelfool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

sorry...

Fn + F11 (has a small picture of a keyboard on it!!! - tried this before but was just bashing away at keys so must have pressed it off then on!!!)

thanks again :thumbup2:

Edited by travelfool, 09 November 2012 - 09:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users