Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezes at Windows XP startup screen

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Secksorcist

Secksorcist

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

Computer Specs:

Windows XP Home Edition (SP3)
Intel Quad Core Processor (2.4GHz I believe)
2GB RAM
NForce 680i SLI Motherboard
Nvidia GeForce GTX 460

One fine day a few days ago my PC started to freeze at the Windows XP startup screen. I didn't make any hardware or software changes prior to this. The PC booted just fine in Safe Mode, but didn't boot in Safe Mode with Networking. Since then I've tried the following:

-Starting from a previous configuration that worked
-Replugging power cord to the hard drive
-Replugging SATA cord, switching to a new SATA cord, and plugging into other SATA ports
-Running dskchck /p and fixing some errors
-Checking bootlog and finding that most drivers don't load
-Running Windows Repair on the installation (which couldn't copy a single file called "danim.ddl", appears to be part of Direct X)

At this point I'm stuck without access to Safe Mode (although it still successfully loads, but won't run setup after Windows Repair), and the PC still freezes at the startup screen unable to complete Setup after I ran Windows Repair. It's my understanding that at this point I can't undo the effects of Windows Repair, but what can I do to get my machine to at least load into Setup?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:14 AM

chkdsk /p
Performs an exhaustive check even if the drive is not marked for chkdsk to run. This parameter does not make any changes to the drive.

The /p function will not do what you want - You need to use the /r function to check and repair any problems for you -
When in doubt always use this method to run a Disk Check - - - -

Run a Disk Check on your C: drive in Windows XP:

•Click Start and open My Computer
•Right-click on C: or your Main drive letter) and select Properties
•Click on the Tools tab
•Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button
•Mark the 2 boxes next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
•Click on the Start button
•When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and >>Restart<< your computer
•Once your computer restarts it will check the drive, don't press any keys so that it is allowed to do so
This should take about 1 hour (on average) to run all 5 stages, then it will reboot back to Normal Mode for you -

#3 Secksorcist

Secksorcist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:47 AM

Forgot to specify this, actually, but I did also try running "chkdsk /r" and supposedly the errors it found were fixed. Here's further update on my progress:

-Ran fixmbr and fixboot in Recovery Console

The two commands temporarily fixed my system and allowed me to complete my Windows Repair Setup, but shortly after completion the PC began freezing at the startup again. Judging by this I'm guessing it's either a driver problem or a hardware problem. Any ideas?

Edited by Secksorcist, 10 November 2012 - 01:51 AM.

#4 Secksorcist

Secksorcist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:06 PM

Solved. Turns out it was a registry problem. I ran CCleaner in Safemode, and after fixing all the issues my computer's been starting up without any problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users