Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help With This, PLEASE...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 The Iceman

The Iceman

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:36 PM

Hello all.

Have a question. I am running Windows7 Home Premium 64bit. I am a gamer and I only have programs starting up that I need.
In my services I have a program called "AtherosSVc". It is for my Bluetooth service. I don't use any type of Bluetooth.

Is it necessary/required to have this running with my OS or is it safe to disable it?

Thanks for any info you can give me on this.

Cheers!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:31 PM

This BleepingComputer Listing gives a full idea of the AtherosSVc Program

#3 The Iceman

The Iceman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:09 PM

This BleepingComputer Listing gives a full idea of the AtherosSVc Program

Thanks, I've already been there but it doesn't tell me anything. Like, is it ok to disable this service....

#4 ranchhand1

ranchhand1

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:27 PM

Yes, you can disable it and your computer will be fine. I suggest that you make a note somewhere that you disabled/removed the .exe file in case one day you want to enable Bluetooth on your system. If possible, you could find the .exe file and change the file designation to .OLD so that it will not boot, and then you can re0change it to .exe if you ever want it in the future. Also, verify that this is included in your motherboard system drivers CD so that you can reinstall it sometime in the future if you want. I might mention in passing that this probably takes almost no system resources and if it is small it might be easier just to ignore it.

Edited by ranchhand1, 09 November 2012 - 08:28 PM.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:45 PM

This is a valid program that is required to run at startup.
This program is required to run on startup in order to benefit from its functionality or so that the program will work.

Beyond this it is up to you to make up your mind - But this is not hurting anything at all -
I would leave it - Why remove it ??

#6 The Iceman

The Iceman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:53 PM

Yes, you can disable it and your computer will be fine. I suggest that you make a note somewhere that you disabled/removed the .exe file in case one day you want to enable Bluetooth on your system. If possible, you could find the .exe file and change the file designation to .OLD so that it will not boot, and then you can re0change it to .exe if you ever want it in the future. Also, verify that this is included in your motherboard system drivers CD so that you can reinstall it sometime in the future if you want. I might mention in passing that this probably takes almost no system resources and if it is small it might be easier just to ignore it.

Thank you very much. That was the answer I was looking for. However, I will not remove it. I just want to disable it in my "Services.msc".
But you make a good point about making a note to remind me in the future if I do decide to use Bluetooth. Especially at my age of 59! LOL!!!

Many thanks again!

Cheers!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users