Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After HDD Failure, new HDD and any other drives incuding DVD drive not recognized by BIOS

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Cody Allan Reed

Cody Allan Reed

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:35 PM

I'm stumped

After Windows 7 slowed to a snail's pace, a black screen suggesting I replace my HDD because failure was imminent appeared. I shutdown my computer, and waited for a new HDD in the mail from Newegg.

A week later, I'm trying to install a new fresh Windows 7 installation on my new hard drive in the HP Pavilion p6310f. The hard drive that was in it was a WD Caviar Green 1TB drive, the replacement is a Seagate Barracuda Green 1TB drive, both are SATA. I also purchased an 8GB Dimm of EVO Corsa GEIL Ram. I installed both the Dimm of Ram as well as the new HDD and powered on the machine.

The first screen that appeared was the HP splash screen for the BIOS. I attempted to load the boot options menu by striking first the ESC key. Nothing happened. I then restarted and attempted to strike the other listed keys, F9 F10 and F11 and the non listed F2 key. Nothing happened. Figuring that the Ram is not compatible with the MB as it is not POSTing, I unseated and pulled it. Now the computer, back to 6GB, 3 dimms at 2GB a piece turns on to the BIOS pre-boot diagnostics screen, not the HP Bios Splash screen.

The diagnostics screen lists:
BIOS version: 5.11
BIOS DATE: 11/02/2009
CPU TYPE: AMD ATHLON II X4 630 PROCESSOR
CPU Speed: 2.80GHz
Installed Memory...
(lists banks and installed memory as well as speed and type)

Initializing USB Controllers...
Done.

(The above is typical and expected However the drives listed below are odd)

1st Drive: None
2nd Drive: None
3rd Drive: None
4th Drive: None
00 USB mass storage devices found and configured.

Why is my machine not showing any of the drives? Especially the DVD RW drive with at first a Windows 7 Bootable disc then a Plop Boot manager disc?

This is confirmed by striking the F10 key and entering the BIOS settings where everything appears normal, the SATA controller is enabled as well as all 4 of the SATA slots, and is set to AHCI. Under the drives in the BIOS settings, nothing is recognized as well.

After exiting the BIOS Settings, or waiting at the pre-boot diagnostics screen the BIOS continues to the "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key_"

I've tried multiple drive configurations, switching the DVD RW Drive to different SATA ports as well as the new drive both plugged in and unplugged as well as the old drive. All yield the same result.

I've attempted removing the CMOS battery and pulling the power cord, leaving sit for 30 sec the power button pressed. This either yields the BIOS pre-boot diagnostics screen or the HP BIOS Splash screen depending on how it feels.

I've attempted running the old HDD from a SATA to USB bridge, where the "00 USB mass storage devices found and configured" changes to "01 USB mass storage devices found and configured" and loads a Windows in unable to boot message screen with error code 0xC000000f. I press enter and it restarts and goes back to "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key_"

I've cleared any obstructions including dust in the Ram Dimms as well as the entire computer including heat sinks and fans as well as triple checked my wires. I've used both an external power supply to supply power to the new HDD, old HDD, or the DVD RW depending on which one I was checking and still the same result.

I have a ton of experience working on these problems as I was a tech for college students but I'm at a loss this time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

NOTE: This poster on HP's help forum seems to be having the same problem.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-e-g/P6310f-no-drives-are-detected-on-Bios/td-p/1566253

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:14 PM

Posted Image

Edited by dc3, 10 November 2012 - 01:27 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users