Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

process explorer shows "error opening process"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 brillo

brillo

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:06 PM

New dell n7110/win7sp1x64.

At startup on new machine from dell, process explorer (procexp64.exe) lists 81 processes running (seems like way too many - compared to xp with maybe 25 at startup). But which processes I can turn off is a question for another day.

OK, read carefully, at least 15 processes in PE show " Path: error opening process". PID, CPU, Private Bytes, and working set columns are shown for these "problem" processes, but nothing after that, ie, description, company name etc. For all other listed running processes (with known paths), all info is shown in all columns.

The problem processes include some important ones, services, crss, ism, wininit, winlogon, that must to be working for the computer to work, and everything seems to be working properly, and no cpu spikes or other weird stuff is happening. Right clicking properties on these problem processes, properties window pops up as normal, but shows "version: n/a, build: n/a, path: error opening process, no command line, no current directory, autostart location: n/a, Parent: non existent process (708), user: access denied. Again, this info can not be correct since the computer is working. And then, after a few minutes, another window pops up and says PE has stopped working, and closes the program. Now, if this was the whole story, I would go to sysinternals with this, but read on...

Task manager running simultaneously with PE lists 83 processes running, more processes than PE, and also ~5 different processes than PE, and PE lists some processes running that TM doesn't list. So PE and TM show different running processes at the same time. How can that be?

For the processes that PE shows "error opening", e.g., crss, etc., when I click properties in TM for the same process, sometimes I get the usual/normal pop-up window listing the path, and all the other data as normal, suggesting the process is working properly. But sometimes when I click properties in TM for the processes that PE shows "error opening", I get no pop-up at all, nothing for that process. So, IMO, it's not just a PE glitch, something is actually wrong here.

This is a new machine, with PE the only 3rd party installation. I have installed several dell driver updates, but this problem occurred before I installed them. Also, remember PE and TM simultaneously list some different running processes and TM also fails to show paths, etc., info for some "problem" processes.

So, suggestions on dxing/fixing this problem? Something elegant preferably, meaning easy...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:17 PM

Its not a glitch.

Right click on process explorer and select run as administrator

#3 brillo

brillo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

Right click PE in start menu > properties > compatibility > check "run as admin"...et voila! 30 seconds. All is good here... Thanks.

Is there a way to pay somebody for this?

Seriously.

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

30 seconds !!! is too high

Another easy method is to click on FILE-SHOW DETAILS FOR ALL PROCESSES

Posted Image

Edited by narenxp, 09 November 2012 - 07:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users