Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't sfc/ scannow

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bhl

bhl

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:29 PM

Been having some issues. At first I thought it was just my OE, but now it appears my OS/registry has some corrupted files. It takes forever to shutdown, and it automatically tries to run chkdsk upon boot (chkdks does identify some problems). Upon boot it tells me that both userenv.log and APSDaemon.log are corrupted and can't be opened. My Kaspersky is no longer updating either. All these problems occurred after I initally ran sfc/ scannow and clicked "cancel" when it asked for XP CD (because I didnt have CD).

Today I burned the XP SP3 ISO (obtained from MS website) onto a DVD and reran sfc/ scannow. I clicked OK when it asked me to insert the CD. Nope, it said wrong disk. At this point I dont know what disk it is looking for. My system is originally a SP2.

I'm hesitant to do a full install from the ISO because I don't know if it will accept my XP2 key. I don't even know if that would solve the problem should it accept the key.

:crazy:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:24 PM

Well...if you don't have a CD...the likelihood of replacing files with good ones...goes down.

In any case, Take a read at http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html .

Louis

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:07 PM

and reran sfc/ scannow << Just a minor point, the command should read sfc /scannow with a space netween the c and / -
This may just be a typo from your end, but please, always be careful on how you set the command each time (no personal offence to you) :)

The correct placing of these details are required for the command to run as directed -

Thank You -

#4 bhl

bhl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

It looks like I'm going to have to do a restore. The article helped sort of. I redirected my registry to my i386 folder but the sfc /scannow still wanted a CD. I'll try an earlier setpoint first :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users