Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transfering information inside a new build

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Skyjack

Skyjack

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:23 PM

I just built a new computer and it has a 1tb hdd that I installed windows 7 on. I also installed my old 500 gb hdd that has windows xp. Can I move my email contacts and bookmarks from the old hdd (E) to the new one ©and if so how?
Thank you for any advice and help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:14 PM

Read the info in the link below. I don't know about whether it will help with bookmarks.
If you are using Firefox, you can move them using email.

If it doesn't move your email contacts, let us know what email program(s) you want to transfer
to and from.

Windows Easy Transfer - Microsoft Windows
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:27 PM

Can I move my email contacts and bookmarks from the old hdd (E) to the new one ©and if so how?

Should be able to. What browser, what email client?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 Skyjack

Skyjack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:01 PM

Thank you for your reply. I am using outlook 2003 on both hard drives and Firefox. I tried loading the program and get the message "The version of Windows you have installed does not match the update you are trying to install" I tried loading it on both hdd in my machine and get the same message.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:23 PM

First, verify what each computer is running...32 bit or 64 bit.
Then go back to the link I provided in first post and make sure you downloaded the correct file.

Computers running Windows XP
  • Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

• If "x64 Edition" is listed under System, youíre running the 64-bit version of Windows XP.
  • If you donít see "x64 Edition" listed under System, youíre running the 32-bit version of Windows XP.
The edition of Windows XP you're running is displayed under System near the top of the window.Computers running Windows Vista or Windows 7
  • Click the Start button Posted Image, right-click Computer, and then click Properties.
  • If "64-bit Operating System" is listed next to System type, youíre running the 64-bit version of Windows Vista or Windows 7.
  • If "32-bit Operating System" is listed next to System type, youíre running the 32-bit version of Windows Vista or Windows 7.
The edition of Windows Vista or Windows 7 you're running is displayed under Windows edition near the top of the window.Is the old hdd bootable?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 Skyjack

Skyjack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

Windows 7 32 bit, both hdd's are in one case. 1TB new hdd has windows 7 ( C ) drive, the old 500 GB has windows xp (E) drive.

Edited by Skyjack, 10 November 2012 - 07:48 PM.

#7 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:10 PM

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/move-contacts-to-another-computer-HA010242705.aspx

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profiles-where-firefox-stores-user-data

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#8 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:40 AM

For email the quick and easy way is to setup the new outlook with all of your information. Then copy the contents of the folder from the xp drive that contains the pst folder(s) into the new folder on the win 7 drive. To find it you will need to enabke seeing hidden files. I think it is in docs and settings/username/localdata/microsoft/office/outlook. If it isn't there it is under the same path from appdata....I always get them mixed up when trying to remember that. Favorites and most other general settings just copy and paste into the appropriate corresponding folder.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#9 Skyjack

Skyjack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:42 PM

Thank you for the help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users