Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Did You Get The Internet? What Do You Use It For?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 12:03 AM

I was just wondering what reason people got the internet.
Was it to send emails and stay connected with friends a ways away?
To find information?

What do you use the internet for? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 08:59 AM

Start in '93 with a company called Delphi. I used it to IRC, and email lil' sister. I had been on BBs since my first 8086 4.77mhz 128kb of RAMat 150 baud in '83. I did get a 1200 baud modem before building my first 80286 8mhz. 640kb of RAM with a 2400 baud modem (I was smokin') at 2400 baud I was on the internet with DOS 4.01 using Dosshell. It may be because I did not know any different, but it did not seem at the time that 2400 baud was that slow. The last BBS I was affiliated with went to the internet in '94. '97 I started beta testing Cable and havenot been withour it.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 11:08 AM

Most of the time I use it as reference tool, but I also use it to stay intouch with friends who are dificult to contact by phone, and of course to visit my friends here...what's with all those crickets in the back ground? :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 04:30 PM

Originally I got the Internet back in 1999. We started out with AOL. We originally got it for educational purposes and just to see "what it is." We were curious as to what the Internet was so we got it. :thumbsup:

Primarially I use the Internet for music, e-mail, entertainment (ie: videos, games, music, random stupid fun stuff), BitTorrent, IM (mostly with my gf :flowers: ), and thats about it.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,847 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2006 - 04:46 PM

Excellent question,

However I must make a correction. It is, "why did you get internet access?" A person is not able to get the internet. It's not like a cold or a tangible item. :thumbsup: :flowers:

With that being said, I got my first access for work at 9600 baud in 1983 or 84, I'm not sure. It was primarily a work tool, then. Later on it just became another means of communications and reference much like the walls of books in my office library. My use of the internet, evolved as the access and content grew and the web itself morphed over the years.

Be (Arachnid) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 YATZEE!

YATZEE!

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 05:50 PM

I have an addiction to the ability to access any information I want via the internet. I can't imagine what one did when they had to actually get up and go to the library to do research. How did they do it back then? So my answer is that I got internet acces as a reference tool first, friends and family second, and thirdly for games. I love to play chess. Send me an IM if anyone is bored and willing to play. No progs please.

Cheers!

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,078 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2006 - 01:29 AM

I started accessing the internet in the mid '80's. Used Erols.com (now RCN) it was $9 per month with a 3 year sign up. No drop offs. I needed it to learn trading stocks and commodities. It was a lot of fun. It worked well with a 200 meg HD.

Edited by boopme, 25 March 2006 - 01:30 AM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 25 March 2006 - 04:10 AM

For me it started a couple of years ago as a hobby when I got my first (old) PC. Persistent troubles rapidly made the net a source of information and assistance.
Now that I have broadband access, I spend almost every spare minute surfing, tracking down anything that takes my fancy. A very addictive way to spend time.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#9 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2006 - 01:59 PM

I didn't get the internet until i was in 7th grade (parents didn't really see a use for it). Started with AOL 5.0 (*shiver*) and after 4 years, i finally convinced my parents to pony-up for broadband (Roadrunner).

I mainly use it for entertainment and research. The internet is invaluable for students who may or may not be able to get to the library. I also play a lot of online games, and right now, it's my main connection to my friends at other colleges, and my girlfriend back home. If i didn't have internet in my dorm room, i wouldn't have a lot of friends, lol.

#10 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2006 - 04:35 PM

My folks first got internet access when I was in middle school. Windows 98 (*writhes in agony*) Prodigy ISP(now SBC) with a dial-up connection (...so..slow...). Then, we got a new PC with Windows XP (slightly better :thumbsup: ) and we switched to MSN for a year, only because it was free...BTW I HATED MSN...their dial-up service had connection issues every other day!!! Then, we switched to SBC...that was okay.... Then, my mother, being irritated that people couldn't call her because my bro and I were always online, switched to Verizon DSL. Yay, broadband!!!

I use it for school work (I have a laptop now :flowers: ), surfing the net, listening to music, playing video games, and, or course, talking with my BC pals!!! I can't imagine living without it now!

#11 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 25 March 2006 - 06:32 PM

Cable for my internet gaming adiction (not gambling).

My internet went out for a day and I had to call my girlfriend over to keep me from getting too depressed. :thumbsup:

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 25 March 2006 - 08:01 PM

Cable for my internet gaming adiction (not gambling).

My internet went out for a day and I had to call my girlfriend over to keep me from getting too depressed. :thumbsup:

Should have been here for Katrina. 4days. Some I know were with out POTS much less cable for 3 months. :flowers:
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#13 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2006 - 08:10 PM

My dad primarily bought internet acces so he could see what was on his agneda for the day. He used to work for IBM, like way back in the day. Before '88 and he kept working for them till programming got more advanced and my dad became obsolete. lol. That wasn't until '00. But, before that our dial-up was on like almost 24/7!! We had a second phone line, err, we still do. Now, I have no idea what I'll do without internet!

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users