Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freezing after re-installation of Windows 7, now almost no sign of life

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 chimpey24

chimpey24

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:46 AM

Hi Everyone, thanks for taking the time to read this.

I think the problem is Hard drive related but just wanted your guys professional opinion on the matter.

My desktop has been crashing/freezing on a regular basis now for the last 3-4 months. Usually after every couple of hours of being on it will crash, no matter what I'm doing (using net, playing game, watching video etc).

After months of casually trying to fix it I decided a few days ago I would go for a clean re-install of windows 7 since it had gotten a bit bloated and thought it may correct the problem. I re-installed from a DVD and it all went fine but once installation was complete it was pretty slow despite the hard drive being virtually empty.

Then after about 45 mins of use it froze. Restarted it same thing happens. Jumped into safe mode and it seemed ok so assumed it may have been a dodgy driver from my wireless usb stick. Installed an older version, all seemed fine. Then about 30 mins later froze again. Restarted it and it wanted to do a CHKDSK, so I let it.

It seemed to be moving at a reasonable pace until it hit step 4/5 which took a couple hours to do but when it got to step 5 it went to about 30% of the way and just ground to a halt. Another 7 hours later it had gotten to 44% then I think eventually froze, as it stayed on the same number for another 2 hours. I turned it off at this point and decided to try again the next day. I did, and exact same thing happened.

So I reinstalled Windows 7 again and half way through installation it froze , so I restarted and now every time I turn it back on it will get about 5 minutes through installation until it freezes. I can't actually get back to the desktop to do any scans or troubleshooting because it is still trying to install Windows 7 and just freezes after 5 minutes.

I can only think that it is the hard drive thats bust although I'm not hearing any noises from it.

What's your guys opinion? Thanks for helping :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:32 PM

Find out who the manufacturer of the hdd is, go to their website and download their diagnostic tool. You will need to burn this to a CD, and it will need to be a ISO file. You may need to enter the BIOS and make the CD-ROM the first device in the boot order so you can boot from the diagnostic disc. Once you open the disc choose the long test and run it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users