Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 8 made computer Unbootable

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Bobang

Bobang

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:50 AM

Hi Folks,

This is what I had and did:

Acer Computer with Vista on it with a recovery drive. 750 GB Drive with mainly 4 partitions:
Recovery Drive: size ? | Acer C: 192 GB - Vista Home Premium | DATA: 344 GB | W: 100 GB - Windows 7 | Dual Booting with Windows 7 as Option 1 and Vista as Option 2

Being the extra wise guy that I am I went ahead and installed Windows 8 on Acer C which had nothing important on it. Everything went smooth as silk, it rebooted several times directly to Windows 8. However, when it was all complete I noticed it was not giving me any Dual Boot Options anymore: it was loading directly to Windows 8! Some people had fixed similar problems using BCD (from Neowin) which I installed, but it could not discover windows 7 start files.

Tried to repair the installation with the Windows 8 DVD Repair Options etc, but Windows 7 remained invisible.
Since Windows 8 was new and Windows 7 did not have any crucial files on it, I decided I could install windows 7 on Acer C with Windows 8 on it now, hoping to overwrite Win 8 and start afresh with Win 7 on the C Drive being the Active partition. The result was a major disaster: A disk read error occurred - Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart.

And that's where it hangs the cursor simply blinking... indefinitely!

I would like to reinstall Windows 7 and Windows 8 in a Dual Boot environment. I also have the original Windows 7 AIK from Microsoft if that is of any help.

Is there a way out?

Bobang

Edited by Bobang, 09 November 2012 - 08:00 AM.

Bobang

in all things be men

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:29 PM

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Have you been able to resolve your issue or do you still need help?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users