Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

software recommendations for archiving on blu-ray burner

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 donatello

donatello

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:48 AM

I just bought a Pioneer BDR-2207 for archiving home movies and photo's. I've researched reviews on software but come up with many that are very old. I would like to potentially take advantage of the triple and/or quad layer burning which is why the latest software appears to be a necessity. Also do I have enough computer for this? The minimum specs I i saw stated an AMD processor and I don't know the equivalent Intel processor. Dell Studio XPS8100 core i5 650@3.20 Ghz 8GB ram Windows Ultimate 7 64 bit 1.5 TB Hard Drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:53 PM

You can use Imgburn to burn files to Blu-Ray DVDs.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:28 PM

I don't think it's a good idea using cutting-edge technology for archiving. Call me a stick-in-the-mud. I have never even used DL DVDs for archiving. The less the required precision, the more dependable a medium is going to be. In the case of HD video there probably isn't an option to BR but you don't have to go to multi-layer. Perhaps for stuff you don't care too much about. There's the question of dividing the risk. How much data will be lost if a single disk goes up the spout? If we get to the max number of layers it could be 200GB. A crack on the inside track of a DVD and it's done. It will not even be recognized as a DVD, any more than a saucer would. I suppose that ultimately it is better to backup whatever the flakiness rather than not back up at all due to costs.

#4 donatello

donatello
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:13 AM

Nanobyte, You have a very valid point. I will definitely take that into account!
I did find some software that appears to be exactly what I want... REWIND™ Archiving Software for PC and Mac. It just came out a couple of months ago and looks promising. I ordered and will give it a shot. Thanks guys

#5 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:55 PM

If you are archiving important data, it is really handy to use a prog that verifies the data. I know Nero does. It's quite a lot slower to use a file checking utility afterwards. Good luck anyway with what you ordered.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:06 PM

I use the BDR-206, a slightly older model. Given the price differential for dual layer versus single layer BluRay media and the speed difference I stick to single layer.
I also use ImgBurn, Just be careful and don't install the bundled extra software unless for some reason you want it.

I also only use Verbatim HTL and not the cheaper LTH media.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:47 PM

I concur with using single layer and sticking to the same good quality brand over time (even though I can't burn blu-ray). I know that a number of people in the forum have quoted ImgBurn. I've never understood why. It's intended for burning ISO, CUE, BIN; it even opens with the burn selection. Most people tend to make a compilation first! Imgburn may be fine for the actual burn. Am I right?

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:05 PM

Hi Nanobyte

Slightly wrong, I'm attaching a picture that shows all the main functions. I tend to organize my files into 23Gb folders and then burn that folder.
Posted Image
I also use it to check for firmware upgrades.

Hope this helps
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#9 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:15 PM

My copy is clearly out of date! I have nothing like that in my version (which is why I never used it way back when). My version is typical of the stuff that is used by the Doom9-ish crew (VirtualDub, AviSynth etc). Works great but not user-friendly. I'll stick with Nero but thanks for the info.

Edit: I upgraded. Better than earlier versions but I found the small dialogs would not be great for the fairly complex backing up I do. Not a problem if you have everything in a few folders and don't want to drag-and-drop. I'm sure you will say that there is a fullscreen button somewhere!

Edited by Nanobyte, 13 November 2012 - 02:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users