Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dell driver updates on new computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 brillo

brillo

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:51 AM

N7110/win7sp1/x64

Hi again after a long absence...

So the title says it, several questions about installing latest drivers on new N7110, windows 7:

Is it really necessary to 1) set a restore point, and 2) reboot after each driver install? Tell me it ain't so...

Bonus question: The 7 search is.... a problem... for me. Would someone point me toward a xp-like search utility to find and dump the crapware Dell installed? I need to be able to see everything and drill through it systematically - like I could with XP search. A FREE program would be preferable.

Thanks.

To clarify, not ALL driver updates require reboot, but almost all, and I've read elsewhere to set a restore point with each. BTW, some new drivers require TWO reboots, one after uninstalling the old driver, then again after installing the new one. Sheesh! I get the reason(s) for individual restore points and reboot, but 23-46 times?

Edited by brillo, 09 November 2012 - 01:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:05 AM

No, you do not have to create a restore point after each driver - though there's no harm in doing so either. And no, you don't have to reboot after EVERY driver is installed, only certain ones (such as the motherboard / chipset driver). Others can be installed "in bunches" with a reboot after 4 or 5. But why are you installing 23-46 drivers - or am I misreading that????

Also, I just don't use system restore. I use disc imaging, which is a much better solution IMO.

And last, as for what you refer to as "crapware", you have a couple of choices:

1) Just do a clean install - that's what I do every time I get or setup a new system or
2) Open Programs & Features and go through each app that is installed, Google it, and decide if you want to keep it or uninstall it

#3 589661

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:37 AM

Hello Brillo,

If you download the dell driver manager from the dell site which is right on the drivers page for your model it will analyze your system and find exactly which drivers you need to and automatically install them for you. It will restart when needed but takes away a lot of the work.

Also if you run Windows Updates first it will often time get a lot of the drivers out of the way for you. But should be followed by dell driver manager in order to ensure all devices have proper drivers and are working properly.

Please let us know how you make out.

Best of luck.
Scott M.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:44 AM

Also if you run Windows Updates first it will often time get a lot of the drivers out of the way for you. But should be followed by dell driver manager in order to ensure all devices have proper drivers and are working properly.

Best of luck.
Scott M.

Please DO NOT use Windows Update to install drivers. Drivers should ONLY be obtained from the various hardware OEM websites and/or the website of the computer manufacturer (and in the case of laptops, ONLY from the computer mfg). Windows Update should be used for critical updates ONLY.

#5 brillo

brillo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:00 PM

Thanks NJ guys for your responses. Hope you are all dry and out of the weather out there. Snowing and blowing here in eastern Oregon.

To 589661, I did use dell driver manager as you suggested, which gave me a list of 43 urgent or recommended driver updates (7 more were optional). Of the 43, after carefully reading the specs, I pared the list down to 23. Then, I downloaded ALL 23; lots of MB. Then, installing the 5 urgent updates (requiring one or TWO reboots each) took 2+ hours. Only 17 updates to go. Gotta be a better way... ?

And then there's this, "Installing Drivers in the Correct Order" at :http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dfh&docid=DSN_1A0C0937D62A8739E0401E0A55174744&isLegacy=true

This page lists ORDER of installation for 13 categories of drivers. According to Dell, updates have to be installed in the correct order, or "Some devices may not function properly if the drivers are installed out of order."

Again, somebody got a better way? (Please, don't suggest hiring a techy. Paying to have the job done properly would cost as much as the computer did.)

Seriously.

Edited by brillo, 09 November 2012 - 04:03 PM.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:29 PM

The chipset driver should be installed first. After that, it doesn't matter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users