Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I was targeted by a Keystroke scam! Please help.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 snevel1

snevel1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:13 PM

Please help! I received a scam e-mail that was pretending to be the Better Business Bureau. The e-mail said that there was a complaint filed and urged us to open the .zip file that was attached to the message. The only file in the archive was a .exe file, and we made the mistake of extracting the .exe file and opening it on one of our computers, our Mac. I downloaded the archive on my PC, but I did not extract anything from the archive on the PC. Here's more info that I found by Googling the attachment that we downloaded from the e-mail
Here are the threat reports: http://www.threatexpert.com/report.aspx?md5=ab8003d09474d34d10ba694d2a1d50ce
http://tools.cisco.com/security/center/viewAlert.x?alertId=27386&vs_f=Threat%20Outbreak%20Alerts&vs_cat=Security%20Intelligence&vs_type=RSS&vs_p=Threat%20Outbreak%20Alert:%20Fake%20Complaint%20Report%20E-mail%20Messages%20on%20November%208,%202012&vs_k=1

I'm really freaking out right now, the threat reports say that the virus is for keylogging software. I really don't know how to make sense out of anything else in the threat reports. What should I do? Do I need to worry about it for my PC since I never opened the .exe file on that computer? I did open the .exe on the Mac, are Mac's able to get this virus? I really don't know what to do about this, so I came to this forum. This is a major emergency for my family right now, and I would be so amazingly grateful for any advice from a kind a knowledgeable soul on this forum.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:54 PM

I'm not a Mac person, so I can't help you there. I do know that most viruses are targeted for Windows computers, so you're less likely to be infected on the Mac.

If you didn't actually open the .exe file, you should be okay, but you should definitely do some follow up scans. I recommend

Download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Update the definitions and then run a Quick Scan
When the scan is finished, click "Show Results" and then after making sure every item's check box is CHECKED, click "Remove Selected". Copy and paste the generated log file (it will open in Notepad) as a reply to this thread and then restart your computer.

After, Please run an eset Online Scan. Let the scanner remove all found threats and as you did before, copy and paste the log generated at the end of the scan into this thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users