Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card Driver Issues

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 anathemax

anathemax

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

To Those Who Have More Knowledge Than I,

I have Windows XP (2002 SP3), My videocard is an ATI Radeon HD 3650.

Recently I updated my video card driver because a newly installed MMO (DCUO) would not run correctly.
I have always seemed to have an issue updating my driver when another MMO (City of Heroes) alerted me that it was old and dated 2010, but every time I updated I would invariably have to roll back to the previous driver.
This time however, I have updated past the point where I can roll back to the 2010 driver.

Updating my driver from the Display interface in my Control Panel, I started getting a blue screen message that read:
"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
The problem seems to be caused by the following file: ati2dvag
If this is the first time you see this stop error screen,
restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
The device driver got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly.
Please check with your hardware device vendor for any driver updates.
Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0x000000EA (0x895A1850, 0x89BFAC28, 0xBA4E7CBC, 0x00000001)
ati2dvag
Beginning dump of physical memory"

That driver was dated 2011.

So I went to AMD where I used their AMD Driver Autodetect to get the best new driver. Using this program also installed something called Catalyst Control Center. This driver is dated 2012.
After that installation I began having more and more problems with gameplay freezes and momentary monitor blackouts, the same with video playback and browser use... all eventually requiring me to restart the computer to regain use of the screen.

Finally I decided to uninstall the driver entirely to see if I could start from scratch. My screen reverted to how it would look in Safe Mode, and reinstalling the latest driver with AMD Driver Autodetect my screen did not return to its previous appearance... and I was still getting freezes and blackouts, possibly more frequent than before.

Windows error reporting automatically opened two pages during the course of my attempt to fix this problem:

http://wer.microsoft.com/responses/Response.aspx/11/en-US/5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0?SGD=a1556b38-0db1-4458-ba46-5cd4e0947c68&Bucket=0xEA_ati2cqag!ExecutableUnits%3a%3aisTimeStampExpired%2b33#here
&
http://wer.microsoft.com/responses/Response.aspx/10/en-US/5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0?SGD=975635b5-eb80-49ec-a83a-4959177d9a3e&Bucket=0x7f_8_ati2mtag!PP_OS_DebugPrintStr%2b32

To achieve a level of functionality, I have manually decreased Hardware Acceleration for my video adapter as described by the first link, though gameplay is impossible in that mode (though video playback works)and the AMD Catalyst Control Center will not start because the "currently active GPU is not supported."
I have also checked the disk for errors ( do not know if any were found before it completed) and I attempted to roll back to a system restore point previous to my installation of DCUO as described by the second link and was alerted that the system could not be restored to that point.

My internal virus scan (Norton Security Suite) turned up nothing, but using ESET online scanner I found and deleted HostsChanger.A twice and Iframe.B.Gen. These scans were done prior to my use of AMD Driver Autodetect.

I think that covers the problem and steps I've taken.
So, please let me know what steps I should take from here to resolve this (or what other details you need from me in order to get the best advice.)

Thank you for your time,
AnatheMaX

Edited by anathemax, 08 November 2012 - 07:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 anathemax

anathemax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:40 PM

Addendum...
I now have skittering pixelated lines moving all over my screen and after I restarted the pc, it is freezing and rebooting itself moments after start up.
Essentially I've lost even the basic utility I had with my previous adjustments.

Apologies if it is inappropriate to bump my post in this manner, but I don't seem to be able to edit my initial posting via mobile browser.

#3 anathemax

anathemax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:48 PM

Moderators:

This issue is resolved. Please close or delete this thread. Thank you.

-AnatheMaX

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:46 PM

We don't normally close/delete topics. the info reflected thus remains available to other members who may have similar situations.

Mind telling us how you resolved it?

Louis

#5 anathemax

anathemax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

Essentially I plugged my screen into my motherboard port and removed the video card.
The fan attached under the card (which I didn't know existed) was filled with dust, so I imagine it's fried from heat.

I don't really know if the driver issue was resolved, but it's irrelevant since the computer was completely unusable with the ATI card in. Had I known about the fan under it, I could have kept it as clean as the rest of the interior.

Not the best resolution.. but I can use my PC again.

As far as deleting the thread, I suppose what you say makes sense, though I didn't get any response here so I didn't want to waste anymore of anyone's time with it and didn't see the value of leaving it here.

But there it is... check for a fan on your video card and keep it clean. That's what I learned.

-AnatheMaX

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:03 PM

:thumbup2:

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users