Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Keeps Crashing...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 WTF? HAX!

WTF? HAX!

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 21 March 2006 - 09:52 PM

My computer crashes...ALOT! I mean, at least 5 times a night. I don't know what it is... It never used to do this, just recently.

My computer has:

900 MHZ Processor
128 MB Ram
20 Gig Harddrive

Tell me if it's necessary to upgrade something and I don't even download songs or anything!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2006 - 01:03 AM

It could be crashing for several reasons, 128MB of RAM and a 20GB hdd don't leave you much of any head room for playing games, that alone could cause it to crash.

From your specs it looks like your computer is several years old, it could be that is needs cleaning out, if the fan on your CPU is pluged with a dust bunny it will overheat and the motherboard will shut you down in self preservation.

In order to help further we would need to know the make and model of your computer, and what you are doing when it crashes, and would you please describe what "crashing" is...does the screen go black, resart, stall???

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 WTF? HAX!

WTF? HAX!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2006 - 01:54 AM

Okay, I don't play any games(besides flash games) on my computer, only because they take up too much space(I wanna play CS SOOO BAD!).

My computer is an E Machines T 1090.

Sorry for being vague on crashing. By crashing, I mean that I lose control of the keyboard and mouse and pretty much, everything freezes. Except the ads of course, those keep running :thumbsup:

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 07:26 AM

Yep, that is what dc3 means. With just the amount or security software, (antivirus, firewall, antispyware) you should have a minimun of 512mb of RAM.
You will not believe what $50 of RAM will do for you.
How much hard drive space do you have left? free/used?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 09:26 AM

Except the ads of course, those keep running :thumbsup:

Sounds like your infected with malware. Perhaps you should consider posting in the HJT area. IMHO, I think that a good "cleaning" of the malware would solve the most of your troubles. If there are ads popping up, then you're computer is infected, and that will cause lockups/crashes/freeze ups etc. What's happening is that your computer is to busy opening pop ups to do anything else.

acklan is right about the memory upgrade though. Ram is one of the "cheapest-best" things you can do to help your computer.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#6 WTF? HAX!

WTF? HAX!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2006 - 06:19 PM

Yep, that is what dc3 means. With just the amount or security software, (antivirus, firewall, antispyware) you should have a minimun of 512mb of RAM.
You will not believe what $50 of RAM will do for you.
How much hard drive space do you have left? free/used?

I'll look into that. I have like 13 gigs left, I think.

Except the ads of course, those keep running :thumbsup:

Sounds like your infected with malware. Perhaps you should consider posting in the HJT area. IMHO, I think that a good "cleaning" of the malware would solve the most of your troubles. If there are ads popping up, then you're computer is infected, and that will cause lockups/crashes/freeze ups etc. What's happening is that your computer is to busy opening pop ups to do anything else.

acklan is right about the memory upgrade though. Ram is one of the "cheapest-best" things you can do to help your computer.

Not pop-ups, I already fixed those in the awesome HJT forum. But like ads on pages.

#7 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:19 AM

[quote name='WTF? HAX!' date='Mar 22 2006, 06:19 PM' post='256237']

[/quote]

Not pop-ups, I already fixed those in the awesome HJT forum. But like ads on pages.
[/quote]

Ok, good. When I read that, I was sure that pop ups were most of the cause. Glad to hear you got that fixed :thumbsup:

I think that acklan is on to something about the amount of room left on your hdd. I've been told that rule of thumb is that you don't want to use up more than 75-85% of your hdd space, as it'll cause problems with winodws and other programs. Can anybody verify that?
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:25 AM

Yes Windows need about 15% of the hard drive for various thing. Less than that and you could run into problems.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#9 WTF? HAX!

WTF? HAX!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 11:08 PM

What my C drive on my computer says:

"File System: NTFS

Free Space: 13.5 GB

Total Size: 18.6 GB"

I'm definately not using 75-85% of my space...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users