Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

fan error help

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sexysam777

sexysam777

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:55 PM

hi i have a asus p5q motherboard when i try to boot in safe mode it says fan error i opened the case and all the fans are spinning fine.

at first the pc was restarting everytime on desktop background so ileft it off for hour then put it back on it stopped restarting but i cant boot in safe mode because when i press f8 it says fan error

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kevin.holmes

kevin.holmes

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:18 PM

It could possibly mean that the CPU Fan is slowing down or throttling. Did you build this computer and if so, did you apply the thermal paste correctly?

#3 sexysam777

sexysam777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:55 PM

It could possibly mean that the CPU Fan is slowing down or throttling. Did you build this computer and if so, did you apply the thermal paste correctly?

thaks for the replt i bought the machine i dint build it, and is that a major problem and how can i fix this

thank you

#4 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:21 PM

Important fans send their speed back to the MB via the third wire (certainly for the CPU). If that is not working the MB assumes it's not running regardless of what the fan is doing. Check that the lead connectors are properly seated and the leads are 3-wire. Without an oscilloscope I don't know how you can check the fan speed feedback. Make sure the CPU fan is connected to the correct terminals on the MB. It could be other things too of course.

Edited by Nanobyte, 10 November 2012 - 07:00 PM.

#5 sexysam777

sexysam777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

hi dont have a clue shall i take a picture and upload it because it has few fans on the motherboard thank you

#6 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:50 PM

Perhaps it would help if you explained how this came about. Did you buy a PC off somebody and it's never worked? Has it been running fine and it doesn't work now? Are you booting in safe mode because it won't start normally? What appears on the display from the moment you start the PC?

Edit: I got a copy of the manual. There are quite a few different models of the P5Q plus the different OS too. You should go into the BIOS, Power Tab, Hardware Monitor. Check the CPU fan speed and what you have selected for the Q-Fan Control and Profile items. Check the chassis fan details too. Any warnings?

If it's not something simple, I don't see what you can do yourself. A repair shop or someone who dabbles in repair may have spare fans they can try. I doubt you have any!

Edited by Nanobyte, 11 November 2012 - 04:42 PM.

#7 sexysam777

sexysam777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

Perhaps it would help if you explained how this came about. Did you buy a PC off somebody and it's never worked? Has it been running fine and it doesn't work now? Are you booting in safe mode because it won't start normally? What appears on the display from the moment you start the PC?

Edit: I got a copy of the manual. There are quite a few different models of the P5Q plus the different OS too. You should go into the BIOS, Power Tab, Hardware Monitor. Check the CPU fan speed and what you have selected for the Q-Fan Control and Profile items. Check the chassis fan details too. Any warnings?

If it's not something simple, I don't see what you can do yourself. A repair shop or someone who dabbles in repair may have spare fans they can try. I doubt you have any!

i bought pc of a mate it. the pc has been working fine without any problems but two days ago i put it on it kept on restarting when loading on desktop so i tried loading in to safe mode it wouldnt let me on safe mode. its doesnt give any error message when powering it up

the pc sometimes it restarts and sometime it doesnt

fan details:

cpu fan speed : n/a
cpu qfan control : disabled

chassis fan 1 speed : 4560rpm
chassis fan 2 speed : 5720rpm
chassis qfan control : disabled

power fan speed : 620 rpm

Thank you

#8 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

That indicates it's not seeing the CPU fan running. I'm assuming you haven't been playing around with the fan because as I said before, if it is connected incorrectly you will get an error.

I suggest you enable CPU Q-Fan Control and initially set the Profile to Turbo. See if fan speed appears. If so Save/Exit and see if it boots normally.
If it runs you could then try Standard or Silent profiles.

Edit: If enabling the Q-Fan Control does not work, disable it like you originally had. The fan should run at full speed. Go to the CPU Fan Speed item and change it to "Ignore". Apparently the BIOS ignores any speed below 800rpm and thinks the fan is disconnected or not running. In changing to "Ignore" you are losing what should be a useful safety interlock, but it's not much use if it stops the PC running when there really is not an issue. You still have CPU high temperature protection.

If the PC now boots up, I suggest you monitor the CPU continuously for a few days with a utility in Windows. There should be an ASUS utility for that PC Probe II, otherwise Speedfan, HWmonitor or similar. Could you post back the CPU fan speed (if readable) and temperature.

In the Boot setup is a curious item "Wait for 'F1" if Error". It does not say what that actually does. Anyone?

If this cures the startup issue, then what caused it to happen out of the blue? If you were using Q-Fan Control it could be that the change in room temperature with the change in season slowed the CPU fan enough to be below 800rpm. However, you were not so it should have been running at full speed (whatever that is).

Edited by Nanobyte, 11 November 2012 - 08:15 PM.

#9 sexysam777

sexysam777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:24 AM

That indicates it's not seeing the CPU fan running. I'm assuming you haven't been playing around with the fan because as I said before, if it is connected incorrectly you will get an error.

I suggest you enable CPU Q-Fan Control and initially set the Profile to Turbo. See if fan speed appears. If so Save/Exit and see if it boots normally.
If it runs you could then try Standard or Silent profiles.

Edit: If enabling the Q-Fan Control does not work, disable it like you originally had. The fan should run at full speed. Go to the CPU Fan Speed item and change it to "Ignore". Apparently the BIOS ignores any speed below 800rpm and thinks the fan is disconnected or not running. In changing to "Ignore" you are losing what should be a useful safety interlock, but it's not much use if it stops the PC running when there really is not an issue. You still have CPU high temperature protection.

If the PC now boots up, I suggest you monitor the CPU continuously for a few days with a utility in Windows. There should be an ASUS utility for that PC Probe II, otherwise Speedfan, HWmonitor or similar. Could you post back the CPU fan speed (if readable) and temperature.

In the Boot setup is a curious item "Wait for 'F1" if Error". It does not say what that actually does. Anyone?

If this cures the startup issue, then what caused it to happen out of the blue? If you were using Q-Fan Control it could be that the change in room temperature with the change in season slowed the CPU fan enough to be below 800rpm. However, you were not so it should have been running at full speed (whatever that is).

Hi iv done that and its been ok as of yet, but today in bios mode the power fan speed below 600 was showing in red ??

thanks

#10 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:30 PM

I listed a number of things to try. You did not indicate what you have actually done. Are you running in Q-Fan control?

If the Q-Fan control works fine then there is no need to disable the CPU speed. Do you know what the normal/maximum fan speed is?

If the fan speed is showing red, that may be a preset in the bios. Do you think it is running that slow? One of my PCs that is running on speed control is at less than 700rpm so low speed is not necessarily cause for concern.

If the PC boots up OK, if you start Asus PC Probe II (assuming it's been installed off the installation disk), you can view speeds and temperatures. You can also set values at which the app gives alarms. What is the current CPU fan speed and temperature?

Edited by Nanobyte, 12 November 2012 - 12:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users