Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WIFI for hotel business

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 klausfunk

klausfunk

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:01 AM

Hello.

Hope you can help.

I work for a hotel in England UK which does not have WIFI. We are situated in an area with generally poor internet speeds. Should low speeds prevent us getting WIFI for the hotel guests use?

I live in the next village a mile or so away and get download speeds of around 16 Mbps. I imagine speeds to be lower at work.

If possible, how would we go about installing WIFI in the hotel for guests use?

Considerations

Usage would be fairly low.
Budget is small.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:50 AM

If you are refering to wireless networking internally then that is just a function of setting up a hardware infrastructure to deliver the wireless signal through the hotel.generally this will require a main router to accept your connection from an isp and several wireless access points to provide services to you guests. The speed of internet access will be limited only by the max speed your isp can provide to the hotel. How much bandwidth you need depends on the load provided by your guests. Your best bet is to hire a consultant for a nominal fee and let them research what you need and if it is available in your area. Then if it is feasible have them price the installation and setup of the network. Keep in mind a minimal service contract is a good idea as well since things will inevitably go wrong and you will need someone to fix it in a prompt manner.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 klausfunk

klausfunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:15 PM

Sorry I have been absent! My main HD packed up then while I was fixing that I discovered my CPU was a little hotter than I would have liked!

Annnnyyyyyway... We hired some guys to come in and sort it. Its costing 1600 to set up etc. Thanks everyone!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users