Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with Microsoft Security Essentials, Windows Update, and Windows Firewall

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 xPhantom

xPhantom

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:05 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm having an issue that I just noticed today. Originally, when I would click on links in Google, I would get redirected to some random advertisement site. That was a red flag to me, so I ran Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and went ahead and deleted whatever it found. Then, I started noticing that my Microsoft Security Essentials is not working. It says "Security Essentials is not monitoring your computer because the program's service stopped. You should restart it now." When I click to start it, I get the following message: "Couldn't start the Security Essentials service. The specified service does not exist as an installed service. Error code: 0x80070424." This raised another alarm for me as that usually is a sign of an infection, I believe. I then went to my control panel to check on Windows Update and noticed that the icon for it is just the red shield thing with an X in it. When I click to check for updates, I get: "Windows update cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer." I also noticed a little bubble on the Windows Update screen that says, "Find out more about free software from (null). Click here for details." I can't say that I've ever seen that there before, so it's a bit suspicious. Lastly, when I go to check on Windows Firewall, I see it in red and saying "Windows Firewall is not using the recommended settings to protect your computer," and when I click on "use recommended settings," I get "Windows Firewall can't change some of your settings. Error code 0x80070424."

I know this seems like three separate problems in one post, but I am pretty convinced that they are all related to each other and there is a single source to all of it.
If anyone has any advice for me, I would really appreciate it. I'm so confused about what's going on with my system.

Thank you all so much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:57 AM

Download

TDSSkiller

Launch it.Click on change parameters-Select TDLFS file system

Click on "Scan".Please post the LOG report(log file should be in your C drive)

Do not change the default options on scan results

Download

aswMBR

Launch it, allow it to download latest Avast! virus definitions
Click the "Scan" button to start scan.After scan finishes,click on Save log

Post the log results here.If you get crashes in normal mode,run it in safemode with networking

Download

ESET online scanner

Install it

Click on START,it should download the virus definitions
When scan gets completed,click on LIST of found threats

Export the list to desktop,copy the contents of the text file in your reply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users