Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

QTTask.exe won't go away

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hedera

hedera

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:16 PM

I have a Win7 Pro 64-bit system. I recently removed Norton Internet Security and am now using Microsoft Security Essentials, Malwarebytes, and WinPatrol to manage my system.

This afternoon I upgraded iTunes, which I use, to 10.7.0.21. After the required reboot, WinPatrol began telling me that QTTask.exe -atboottime wanted to be added to my startup. I have told it no at least 15 times, it pops every couple of minutes. I can't follow WinPatrol's instructions to get rid of the repeated messages because they assume the problem task is active on my system, and it isn't. I don't know what is forcing this message. I've send a request for help to WinPatrol, but I wanted to bring this here because this may be a new issue for QTTask.exe. The most recent references Google can find for problems with this app, including in these forums, are at least 3 years old. Or I may have a problem with WinPatrol. In any case I'll run a full Malwarebytes scan and see if that helps.

If anyone else has had this problem with this combination of apps, what did you do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,258 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:26 PM

QTTask.exe is a program by Apple which comes bundled with iTunes and (specifically) the Apple Quicktime media player. It's a non-hostile but non-necessary utility which makes iTunes and QuickTime start up faster. You should be able to turn it off from the QuickTime Preferences window in the Windows control panel by disabling the system tray icon:

Posted Image

In my experience you will have to re-do this every time you update iTunes/Quicktime.

Edited by Andrew, 07 November 2012 - 07:27 PM.

#3 hedera

hedera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:08 AM

Right, none of this is new. I'm beginning to think I have a problem, not with QTTask.exe, which isn't in the startup list, but with WinPatrol. I've checked my startup list in CCleaner and in msconfig itself, and QTTask.exe isn't checked in either. I also checked the box you mentioned in the preferences, and it isn't checked. So what I have is WinPatrol pinging me every 5 minutes (increased from every 2) about a problem I don't have. I installed WinPatrol at the recommendation of someone in the security discussions, but I'm beginning to wonder about it. I'll see what kind of response I get to the email I sent their support account. In every other case I've checked the "no" button on the "do you want this in startup?" popup and that was the end of it.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,258 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:35 PM

Hrm, yes that sounds like a bug in WinPatrol, then.

#5 hedera

hedera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:18 PM

I still haven't heard from WinPatrol on the question I asked them about this. The problem I described hasn't gone away; my solution was to turn off monitoring of the startup list, which sort of defeats the purpose. I'm only having the problem on my Win7 Pro 64-bit desktop. I haven't upgraded iTunes on my Win7 Ultimate 64-bit laptops; I'm kind of putting it off.

Has anyone else ever reported a problem to WinPatrol and gotten no answer in a week? The program keeps suggesting I should pay to upgrade to their Plus version. I agree this looks like a bug in WinPatrol but I am getting no response from them. Is there an alternative free program I could try? (I try to keep everything on my laptop free if possible!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users