Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer not booting or PSU issue

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sporkingotn

sporkingotn

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:21 PM

So i came home today to find my computer wasn't on. I was just using it last night and left it on.

When i try to turn the power button on i have to press the button a few times or manually unplug the power cord and try again.

The monitor never turns on but the computer doesn't boot either. No keyboard lights come on.

I opened the PC and turned it on and noticed the fan on the Heatsink/processor starts for 2 seconds and then stops completely while The power supply fan stays on, Gfx Card fan stays on and 1 inner fan also stays on.

Is the power supply bad?

I have to repeatedly press the button just to get it to turn on.

Windows 7 x64

Hp pavilion a6750f

Evea 560 Gfx Card

8 gb ram

Bought the power supply off new egg 2 years ago 650W

If you need more information i will try to provide it for you.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sporkingotn

sporkingotn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

I will have to wait to go to a friends house to replace the PSU.

But i have one other thing that i realized , the PSU is making a very high pitch noise. It doesn't stop unless i completely remove power from the computer.

I googled the high pitch noise and got "Coil whine" , is this a sign that it is infact my PSU?

other thing i have done. I re-sat all cords , ram , gfx card.

I tried starting the pc with no ram inserted but it didnt make any noise.

#3 CaoJedi

CaoJedi

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:21 PM

The whining definetily points to the PSU. Since you have one available to try, i would wait until that happens before jumping to any other conclusions. But the heatsink fan could be going bad or the actual connector could be going bad, or the MB could be shorting. It could be a number of things so lets rule out the easy one first.

J

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users